web site feedback

It's only a matter of time until someone will come up with the suggestion to try a cloth and mild detergent, to see if that'll make the problem go away ... :-)

--
SNCR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

it.

Certainly. I posess the reference standard for crappy monitors. Two, if you include my Vaio laptop.

And I want the web site to work on crappy monitors, too.

John

It does and it is probably the gamma setting or colour management on your monitor that is bad. Probably brightness wound up too high and soot & whitewash contrast settings - which might suit circuit layout.

Find a photo website and check your monitor gamma settings.

You might find this site helpful (or confusing)

Looks like a dirty cream. I don't like the active tab being white same as the background or more accurately the cubist dotted line around it.

More fundamentally on the front page having the first bullet line of whatever it is ends "embedded waveform generators" sliced in two horizontally doesn't look good at all.

That's on IE8 and Vista 1920x1200 display.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

"John Larkin"

** Looks nice to me.

Alternating white and light beige backgrounds.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:06:51 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It seems to be java related, so those monitors are OK. I never understood what exactly 'java' is, 'cpt for coffee, but it seems to be C without pointers. no idea why people use it ;-) That and all the fuzz Oracle makes about it, IIRC they claim it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan's GIF has been downsampled to 8-bit indexed color, so the test is not a direct comparison, but it is still useful. Since you can't see the difference in the GIF, your problem can't be related to scripting or other browser settings. The conclusion is:

You have a cheap (or old) LCD monitor. Cheap monitors have TN panels. TN panels have only 18-bit color resolution (6 bits per color), and are not able to display slight color variations.

Then you are on the right track: Use the crappiest monitor you can find. If it is visible on that, it'll be visible everywhere. Whether it will look good on a good monitor is not guaranteed, though.

--
RoRo
Reply to

A Catholic dies and goes to heaven, gets the grand tour. "Hey, who are those people over there?" ... "Shhht! Quiet. Those are Lutherans. They think they are the only ones here."

That's the color my wife wants for the new living room carpet. I've never bought carpet in America but now it's my part to find a reasonably priced store that I can trust with the installation :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

John Larkin a écrit :

Looks nice here.

You'll need some way to differentiate links from plain text (Accessories and Related tabs) when the mouse isn't over them.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

John Larkin a écrit :

So put a pointer to that SW on your front page so that everybody have the opportunity to calibrate their monitor before viewing you site :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

2/3 of the work was getting it to work with various versions of IE.

John

With Sea Monkey 1.1.8 on Slackware 11.0, I get white and tan.

With Mozilla Firefox 1.4.0.7, I get white and tan.

I'd have to reboot to check my Doze browsers, but I suspect some scriptkiddie is pulling something off, or maybe it's the latest and greatest MICRO$~1 versions of browsers etc. that are microshafting you.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No surprise there. These days, the really sharp Web developers quote a base price for a W3C-compliant job and an additional charge for each desired version of M$'s (least-compliant) browser family.

JeffM

That's the one the Pilgrims brought over, isn't it?

No, it's my video card/monitor combo. I'm apparently the worst-case test. My Vaio laptop is pretty bad, too.

The Brat designs the web pages on a high-end card and dual monitors. I bet a lot of web designers have top-end gear, but they have to design for everybody.

There was a time -- back when many people has 8-bit color (256 colors) video cards -- when web designers were asked to design to a set of 216 standard colors (the idea being that, of the remaining 40, 32 belonged to the OS, I think, and I dunno where the other 8 went), but I doubt any web designer bothers with that much anymore, even though some tiny number of people undoubtedly still have such machines.

On the other hand, there are a lot of web guys right now re-doing their sites such that it's iPhone/iPad compatible. I.e., removing any features that require Adobe's Flash!

Perhaps you should get yourself a new dual-monitor setup? You can get, e.g., two 23" LCD monitors for well under $400 these days...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I can't ask all my potential customers to upgrade. The web site should work for most everybody.

John

Seems John spoils her too much. She gets to enjoy all the high-end gear while dad has to wing it with the old computer :-)

Or get a 27" widescreen. I did, and really like it. Now layout reviews are almost fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Keep it Simple, Stupid.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, there you are. Do you want customers, or do you want to entertain scriptkiddies and elitists?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On this one, too?