voltage regulator

Hi I hope someone will be able to help me out . I have a old motor bike that runs a generator through a solid state regulator, some thing must be happening in the reg for on a long run it over charges the battery. It puts about 18 volt into the battery this is not good for a

12 volt battery. So I need a way to stop charging at 15 volt or just below , It must be able to handle about 10 amps. If anyone knows of a simple circurt that will do this please let me know . Thankyou Allan.
Reply to
Al

Get a new regulator.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I wonder if it's one of those that used relays ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

He did say it was old; nothing wrong with relay regulators, they seemed to last forever in the old days. I put 375,000 miles on a Honda (car) with triple relay regulator. It went through 3x alternators and 0x regulators.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Depends on whether the generator is grounded field or floating field. The principle is the same, but you would have to use opposite poarities in your transistors and diodes. I built a regulator for my bike, which has a floating field. What kind of bike do you have?

Reply to
kell

Read thread. If you cannot be bothered to give make and model we have no possible clue as to how the original regulator was implemented (i know of four possible classes).

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.