v for frequency?

In England it can mean either.

"I will be going for a walk presently."

"Presently I am walking."

Reply to
SteveW

I'm the other way around. Over here (UK) areas of land are _always_ quoted in acres, and I have no good feel of how big that is.

A hectare, on the other hand, is a 100m square, and we all know how long the 100m track is.

So I halve the acres, and work out how big from that. An acre is actually only about 40% of a hectare, not half, but that's good enough.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Half an inch is 12.7mm.

12.5mm is 0.49 inches. 0.451 inches is only 11.5mm.

I don't know where you buy your plywood...

(My local UK shop has 3.6, 5, 8, 9,m 12 and 19mm :headbang:)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I got those figure from some web site and didn't check them. Mea culpa. If you like, once I'm dressed I'll go out to the workshop and apply calipers to various sheets of plywood.

In the U.S. It's typically manufactured in Canada.

Averaged over millions of sheets of plywood, that fraction of a millimeter adds up.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Most people don't. It's roughly 208 x 208 feet, not exactly as big as Texas. It's smaller than an average football pitch.

Reply to
rbowman

In the area I live many homes were built out of town are on lots of about 1/2 acre. I think that may have been a requirement due to the septic tanks. Later when areas got city water and sewer the lots were lowered to 1/3 of an acre. The home I used to live on was about 100 feet wide and 200 feet deep, just about 1/2 acre. There was about a dozen homes built in that area thare on lots about the same size.

That makes it easy to visualise how big an acre is.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It's 220yds x 22yds isn't it? Sort of possible to feel the size of that but not very easy.

Reply to
Chris Green

British film is OK but never did good Westerns.

Cowchaps?

We measure walking distances in blocks, the typical spacing of streets. A block is about 300 feet, 100m.

A block is also the land, or the area, bounded by four streets. It's about 5 acres.

We make our words work hard.

Everybody short-changes on wood. A 2x4 isn't.

Now that is hardly universal. I've seen much smaller blocks, as well as much larger blocks all over the US.

A hectare is approximately 2.5 acres.

Just as an inch is approximately 2.5 centimeters.

Conversion from centimeters to inches: multiply by two, then divide by five.

Same works for acres to hectares.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Well it'll be less if it's planed. I don't know whether the measure includes the width of the saw cuts. Maybe we should insist on the sawdust and planings.

Reply to
Max Demian

here they list them as "100mm x 47mm (95mm x 45mm planed)"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In my old Victorian, built in 1892, the 2x4's really were 2x4.

A bit less than 70 yards square (ie 4840 square yards). 70 yards is easily envisaged, and is something that most young folk can run in about

10 seconds.
Reply to
Ian Jackson
[snip]

The blocks were I am are usually about 3 times as long as they are wide.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Feet to metres is easier and more accurate: multiply by 0.3 (by 3 and move the decimal point)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

They did here with house blocks before we went metric. Normal residential blocks in suburbia with 1/4 acre or

1/5 acre and the posher places were 2 acre etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

This is a cool book.

One point is that an array of short blocks is much more interesting than long ones.

They'll sell those to you for your pellet stove...

Reply to
rbowman