UV LED On Toenail Fugus

'Certain fungal growths under the toenail can be treated using a specific wavelength of UV delivered from a high power LED (light emitting diode) and can be safer than traditional systemic drugs.'

'300-320 nm: Light therapy in medicine'

Nail fungal species:

'6 to 8% of population with onychomycosis.'

Yikes.. A $125.00 UV LED..

Might be cheaper in Korea

Ebay gizmo!! LED + power supply + timer +toenail clip + 'not liable for skin cancer form' $$$$$ :)

But...I think I have to go through approvals first :( I suppose a bunch of shaved rats will have to wear UV LEDs for awhile. :P

Reply to
D from BC

Try Clorox (diluted, natch)...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Vics Vapo-rub.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Vics might be ok for toes but I'm not rubbing it into my crotch!

Reply to
Nik Rim

Ti tree oil (melaleuca oil.

Reply to
F Murtz

Lotrimin.

Reply to
lurch

Yeah, tea tree oil. Safe, cheap, mild, and potent. Trader Joe's has it in the cosmetics area.

There are a few tricks to using it. The infection lives in the nail and nail bed itself. For success, treatment must continue until _all_ the infected material grows out, i.e. totally a new toe nail grows in. That means from 9 months to almost a year.

I cured a toe nail by a) filing the exposed flat of it almost paper thin. That doesn't hurt, removes a bunch of infected material, and leaves a porous surface that the tea tree oil can penetrate. That's important, so it can get to the bed. b) one tiny drop applied with a toothpick, once or twice a day. c) when the filed, infected part of the nail has grown out and is fully replaced with clean new nail, you're done. Enjoy.

Beats the heck out of taking a systemic poison, a pill to poison your whole body just to zap that one little nuisance under your nail.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Maybe UV works faster. I'm guessing that if the UV light is powerful enough it can penetrate through the nail to the nail bed.

If the toenail UV exposure is comparable to the amount of UV a person gets from being in the sun, then imo it's a matched risk. People get their face blasted by UV from the sun but toes are often covered by shoes. imo skin cancer on the face is more probable than skin cancer on the nail bed.

Reply to
D from BC

My toe nail just dropped off eventually. Got a new one growing out now. Any particular reason we need toenails?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If it were or could, you'd expect to see people sunburned under their toenails wouldn't you?

Nail fungus is hard to kill. I read today that the drugs take 3-6 months, and only have a 50% success rate.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

_

n't

They're good for scratching behind your ears?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Indeed hard to kill. It you are unlucky it may take 2 or 3 years before you get to the really strong stuff.

It will take 1.5 year before it is completely grown. My toe nail had an accident last year (had to pull the remains out).

To proof we evolved from monkeys not Adam & Eve :-)

                     "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Good point.. Oh it's gets tricky now.. In that case: I don't expect a nail to be 100% absorptive to UV. With enough UV power, the penetration depth might make it to the nail bed. Only problem is that surrounding toe skin will get burned. A fix would be to zinc cover the toe skin and only LED UV expose the nail.

A bikini model worst nightmare I suppose.

Reply to
D from BC

If I were a caveman, I'd let my toenails grow, sharpen them with rocks and I'd be able to kick holes in animals that attack me. :P

Here's a goofy guess: Only 6 to 8% of the population have nail fungus due to Darwinian evolution. Those with the strongest nails survived and most of the fungus people died off cause they couldn't defend themselves without strong pointy toe and finger nails. :P

Reply to
D from BC

With or without the poison? I have one that's 1/4" thick, but it's been that way for ~50 years, so it's not likely to drop off now.

An ingrown nail may have cost you your life.

Goffy doesn't even start...

Reply to
krw

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why? who's looking at her FEET? Who could get that close? ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A QUARTER-INCH THICK toenail? EEEEWWWW!! YUK. Do you use a Dremel to trim it? maybe with carbide bits?

(I find it hard to believe your toenail is actually that -thick-.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

l_

sn't

is

I was very impressed with tea tree oil. It's mild to skin (ladies use it on their faces) but a potent antifungal. And it smells nice.

For my 1rst try I just dabbed TTO on the nail. That discouraged the fungus but didn't kill it.

Then I thought of filing the thickness down to nothing. Worked like a charm. Looked good, so I stopped TTO. Started seeing another section of infected nail growing in. Ooops.

So 3rd experiment--more of the same, and kept it up until the filed- down nail grew out completely. Mission accomplished.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Emery board. It doesn't fit between the jaws of a standard toenail clipper. I used to trim it with dikes, but it's gotten too thick. The other big toenail is about half as thick. I've thought about the poison, but it doesn't bother me so I figure any benefit isn't worth the risk.

Do you *really* want to see my toes? Kinky! ;-)

Reply to
krw

As long as she's got feet that work. :P

Reply to