LED UV emissions?

Just curious, but does an off the shelf white or blue LED emit any UV of a usable level?

I use a CFL for UV exposure, but it is a PITA to set up, and for the cost of one UV LED, I can by a bag of 10 ultra white or ultra blue LEDs.

Reply to
Wayne.

**Even better, you can buy UV LEDs. They're not really UV, they're deep purple, but they do the job. I've used them in place of unobtainable cold cathode UV tubes.

Jaycar ZD-0260 Farnell 105-7106

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

In message , Trevor Wilson writes

Just be careful not to overdrive them or you might get smoke on the water.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

For the cost of one from Farnell, I can buy 10 blue/white LEDs.

Reply to
Wayne.

Very sharp! :)

Reply to
K Ludger

**You asked about UV, not white or blue. If you want UV, use a UV LED.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I seriously doubt that any blue/white ones emit more than a 2% UV. but check for yourself farnell have links to data-sheets (and most of them work)

wikipedia says UV is wavelengths smaller than 400nm, and a quick search of a different site found no datasheets for visible light leds that emit a measurable amount of UV

AIUI UV LEDs are made out of a different semiconductor to those used for visible LEDs.

Reply to
Jasen Betts