Using 4000 series logic to drive....?

No, people don't want it. They want the pretty electronic gizmos.

Reply to
krw

SMT on carrier PCBs is easy. I don't bother to use the DIP pins, but just solder the wirewrap wire directly to the tracks.

If I want a decoupling capacitor, I'll often put it on top of the IC, and use uninsulated wirewrap wire to connect directly to the pins.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sheetrock screws are probably the most useful & versatile sort there is. If you're stressing your fixtures to anywhere near failure you're suffering a design screw up. For a given size a sheetrock screw handles more load than a nail.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks, I'll look over their datasheets. I know from unfortunate experience that any chip that needs to be written over an I2C or SPI bus needs Good Datasheets or else one is going to be in for pain (ahem Maxim)

Reply to
bitrex

What's "Manhattan"?

Wirewrap sockets are expensive! :O

Reply to
bitrex

And sheetrock _screws_ don't creep out over time, like nails sometimes do. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Thank you,

--
Don
Reply to

sheetrock screws are fine for many things but they are brittle, try to bend on and it just snaps.

for structural stuff like joist hangers you absolutely have to use the proper screws or nails made for it, sheetrock screws are useless for that

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

yes

joist hangers require thicker screws than sheetrock ones. Where their size/strength are good for the task, sheetrock screws are fine for structural work. But this is very basic engineering stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 8/7/2017 12:48 PM:

That's why I use decking screws. They don't break and are still not expensive. Plus they are made for outdoor use.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Oof, my eyes hurt just thinking about those protos with the SMT resistors.

Reply to
bitrex

Why would one try to bend a sheetrock screw ?>:-}

There are proper construction screws. This....

is all steel frame (2x4's), connected up with construction grade sheet metal screws, then 'skinned' with cement board, then stucco'd.

Never broke a single screw, and I was using self-tapping screws and a power driver. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

We've had the equivalent machine in the last two places I've worked. The number of times they've been used in those ten years is exactly zero. When I was in college, we had a lathe sort of thing that cut circuit boards from copper clad. That was used extensively but there weren't very many alternatives at the time. Even for educational use, proto houses are probably the way to go, today.

Reply to
krw

You're 100% wrong. Please don't use them where property or life may be at risk.

Reply to
krw

No, they are *not* fine for structural use. They are for hanging sheetrock. Period.

Reply to
krw

Wiring done is "streets" and "avenues" (i.e. right-angles), rather than "as the crow flies". The best wire-wrap routing is streets and diagonals, though. ;-)

Anyone remember Augat prototyping boards? I used some that went for a couple of grand each.

Reply to
krw

They seem to be OK for hanging pictures, so far.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You're free to offer a basis for this.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Must be some pretty heavy pictures? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I think krw has been hanging out with bitrex >:-} ...Jim Thompson