Dating CMOS 4000 series ICs

when there is ambiguous year date code. I'm not getting very far googling.

Both A and B series around in 1977 to 1983. When did A series cease production ? they came in about 1968 When did buffered B (plus unbuffered UB presumably same time) come in? When did Buffered Plastic BP suffix come in ? I seem to remember some not having any suffix, were they "A" or some other series

Reply to
N_Cook

looking through a small pile of salvaged CMOS, earliest "BP" was 1983

Reply to
N_Cook

.

I have never dated a logic IC, this is an interesting concept.

I think I'll stick to humans for now, but let me know how this works out :-O

Reply to
Jake

I've got a 1976 RCA databook with both A and B

Not RCA, their plastic dip suffix was "E". Motorola used BP . Their CMOS was MC14xxx, MC4xxx was TTL.

Each manufacturer back then had their own parts number scheme with different suffix meanings. Digging out an even older (1974) Motorola McMos applications handbook, it gets even more confusing. A and C were not the design series, they originally were the temperature range suffixes for the A series.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

googling.

other

I've got a pile of A series CMOS somewhere , just in case, If I find them I'll try finding the last yearcode printed

N_Cook