Drive logic/motor power supply

Hiya, I was considering adding either a floppy and/or hard drive into a project I'm working on, and since either requires 12v to run the motors, I got to wondering about something. Are the logic and motor components of such a drive totally isolated from one another? I mean, if I want to power the logic board of a drive from the power source of the project itself, but I want to power the motor from an independent external source, is this possible without frying the other side? One would think this would be the case, but I thought it's best to confirm before I start sticking things together!

Also, in the event I might decide to use compact flash (via a CF to IDE adapter) in place of a hard drive, would one even have to power the motor side, or just simply send standard 5v to the logic side?

Reply to
FyberOptic

Yes, 5V (or 3.3V) only for CF. You can leave the 12V unconnected.

Reply to
linnix