No TV aerial - what are my options?

Hi,

I am renting a house in Western Sydney with 2 lounge rooms. One has an aerial outlet and we use a power injector to get the analogue signals. The signal comes through OK, but ABC is a little hazy sometimes. SBS is non-existent.

The other lounge room has the "good" telly but no aerial. We just watch DVD's there but i would like to watch broadcast TV and use teletext.

What are my options to get TV signals to the good telly but keep in mind it's a rental and i can't change the aerial or punch holes in walls. I will spend money though.

Some i thought of...

  1. Very long cable to other room
  2. Bunny ears
  3. Bunny ears + power injector (does this work?)
  4. Bunny ears + STB (does this work?)
  5. Some wireless product

Thanks Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Nick"

** Err - "power injector " = ????

An antenna booster ?

Has it got two or more outlets ?

** Bet the antique antenna has no UHF elements .

** Run a long cable under the floor - same way installers do it.

Consider buying a digital STB - will dramatically improve all signals, esp the ABC.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Should have said that it's on a slab. And it's the downstairs lounge room.

OK this might sound really dodgy.... but would it work/help if i plugged bunny ears into the STB? Or does the STB need to be connected to a proper aerial?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Nick"

** Run the cable indoors - you work out how.
** So you already have one ???

Results are intermittent at best with indoor antennas in the area you mention - the pic will keep freezing or cutting out on some or all channels.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It'll work, if you can get a decent signal into the bunny ears in the first place.

You could always stick another aerial on the 'mast' of the original and run a cable down the outside of the house if you're feeling adventurous =) use U-clamps and take it with you when you move!

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Got to dick smiths or tandy and buy a transmitter. Plug into the output ov your vcr and it transmits to the rabbit ears on the remote tv. Probably cost around $30 to 40.

Reply to
two bob

That will work of course, but ugly.

Bunny ears might work, cheap enough to simply try it.

If your analog signal is OK on the TV then the STB should work just fine. Doesn't matter if it's rabbit ears or a full band external. It won't magically pick up SBS if you don't get it now though. An STB should improve your existing reception.

You can put an STB at the antenna output and then run the A/V output to an AV transmitter in the other room. If you want to watch two different digital channels on the two sets at once then you'll need two STB's, or have one running analog, the other digital. You'll need a remote extender to control the STB from the other room. You could try diplexing your external antenna and indoor rabit ears too, that might help you get SBS and/or better ABC.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you are in a fair signal area, a caravan ant might do the trick - they just clamp on to a gutter etc - I used one for years when I was renting

Get one from DSE and you can take it back if NBG

David

Nick wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

free to air TV is crap now that pay TV is along

get a DVD player, Amazon gives very fast service. once you get the email it only takes a week.

I am renting a house in Western Sydney with 2 lounge rooms. One has an aerial outlet and we use a power injector to get the analogue signals. The signal comes through OK, but ABC is a little hazy sometimes. SBS is non-existent.

The other lounge room has the "good" telly but no aerial. We just watch DVD's there but i would like to watch broadcast TV and use teletext.

What are my options to get TV signals to the good telly but keep in mind it's a rental and i can't change the aerial or punch holes in walls. I will spend money though.

Some i thought of...

  1. Very long cable to other room
  2. Bunny ears
  3. Bunny ears + power injector (does this work?)
  4. Bunny ears + STB (does this work?)
  5. Some wireless product

Thanks Nick.

Reply to