Unified FPGA Development Suite

outright or

Nothing.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

versions

get

at

any

Player.

get

As far as i know very many of them have JTAG interfaces for programming. The problem areas is translating the VHDL / Verilog to appropriate control maps to program the device. That is what the (possibly free) chip maker proprietary software does. So to even use their devices you are tied to the vendor/manufacturer tool chains, or $n*1e5 to $n*1e6 major house tools (if you can afford them, and they support that chip).

Reply to
JosephKK

fpga

versions

even get

If

I have seen products that do this. They may have been programming course assignments though.

Sounds like lower division coursework for digital students. Maybe have undergrad student competitions and the local uni for a $50 first prize. Or maybe for $500 to write the software for you. Say isn't one of your descendant(in-law) a pretty good programming type?

Reply to
JosephKK

Browsed the website a bit. It seems to provide full VHDL with simulation. It will not feed into a FPGA design anything more than VHDL of icarus Verilog. It does seem to be able to support OpenHardware and full ASIC design.

Reply to
JosephKK

[snip]

Son. But he's so busy he has no time for Dad :-( ...Jim Thompson

...And if the building blocks you want aren't in the Altium Library?

What sort of simulation tools do they provide? A decent simulator is the most important tool for FPGA development once your designs get in any way complex, it's the only way of ensuring a decent sized design will work.

And what do you do if your design doesn't meet the clock speed you need what do you do?

I went to an Altium demo a few years ago where the example build didn't meet timing, the presenter glossed over this. This is the equivalent of sending a PCB out that's failing design rule checks, it'll be flaky or won't run at all.

In this instance to fix the problem would have meant delving into Quartus so you might as well have been using it 'raw' in the first place.

But when they've got past the 'beginner' phase what do they do?

Modern FPGAs are complex capable beasts, even at the low end. Can you access all the functionality available with Altium tools?

I'm probably about to buy a full Altium license for the Schematic capture and PCB design tools but I fully expect to continue to use Textpad/Modelsim and Quartus/ISE for FPGA development.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart