alternative to "arm development suite"

Hi,

Im an undergrad who is new to ARM-based controllers. Im working on a custom board based on the AT91rm9200 microcontroller. The aim is to develop an in-house evaluation board that can be used in the future for educational purposes. Currently, im using the trial version of "Arm development suite" (ADS 1.2), and my licence is running out. Are there any free GNU tools available that can totally replace ADS..if so , where can i download them..if not, thanx in anticipation Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

The exact response depends on the host computer and operating system. There are ready packages for Windows, PC-Linux and ARM-Linux.

I mady my first toolchain by loading the sources from a GNU mirror, configuring and compiling the tools under Linux.

For Windows toolchain, ave a look at .

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

You may want to check out the

web site. In the left lower corner is a link to the AT91 CDROM which contains a toolset for Linux host, used to compile the AT91 Linux. If you go to the Linux forum, you will find a link to the latest AT91 linux. Here is a link to an Open Source AT91RM9200 based Educational board

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

There is some software, free for educational use, at

Are there

I know theres a GCC port, there is probably a debugger as well but I've never used it.

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

I've

ROFL!! The gcc port for ARM is the single most widely used ARM toolchain in the world, I'm willing to wager. Why are you pointing the OP at buyware/restricted license solutions?

To the OP: There are numerous places where one can acquire precompiled ARM GNU toolchains. As one starting point, try

larwe

I know. I have been doing a lot of work with it lately. However I've never used the debugger, only the compiler and gas.

Well, he said he was already using some software by ARM, and it was for educational purposes. So perhaps the interface of the other software may be more familair.

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

Also try

They are supported by ARM to make improvements to the ARM GCC tool chain.

Reply to
Tom Carley

Hi,

Ive downloaded the GNU toolchain from gnuarm.com. I had also gone to the codesourcery site mentioned above, but i didnt know what abi meant :-(, but a google define:abi took care of that.

Im trying to develop a stand alone device (for my senior undergrad project), much like a computer, around the at91rm9200. i have forsaken the ADS for now, since the trial licence is running out...moreover i think it will be more useful when i start hunting for a job :-|

I wil have to port the uC OS onto this board, and add a graphical interface, and also interfaces for a keyboard, usb etc.

Il be working on these OSs: redhat linux 9, fedora core 2.

But i have no idea how to go about "compiling a toolchain". im googling for info, but any link to a note etc would be nice.. Thanx in anticipation Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Hi,

Ive downloaded the GNU toolchain from gnuarm.com. I had also gone to the codesourcery site mentioned above, but i didnt know what abi meant :-(, but a google define:abi took care of that.

Im trying to develop a stand alone device (for my senior undergrad project), much like a computer, around the at91rm9200. i have forsaken the ADS for now, since the trial licence is running out...moreover i think it will be more useful when i start hunting for a job :-|

I wil have to port the uC OS onto this board, and add a graphical interface, and also interfaces for a keyboard, usb etc.

But i have no idea how to go about "compiling a toolichain". im googling for info, but any link to a note etc would be nice..

Thanx in anticipation Mayank

PS: i will be on these OSs for development : Redhat Linux 9.0, fedora core 2

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Hi,

Ive downloaded the GNU toolchain from gnuarm.com. I had also gone to the codesourcery site mentioned above, but i didnt know what abi meant :-(, but a google define:abi took care of that.

Im trying to develop a stand alone device (for my senior undergrad project), much like a computer, around the at91rm9200. i have forsaken the ADS for now, since the trial licence is running out...moreover i think it will be more useful when i start hunting for a job :-|

I wil have to port the uC OS onto this board, and add a graphical interface, and also interfaces for a keyboard, usb etc.

But i have no idea how to go about "compiling a toolichain". im googling for info, but any link to a note etc would be nice.. Thanx in anticipation Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

It's nice that you send this three times, to ensure that we can't miss it. It is also pleasant that you quote nothing, so that the message becomes a complete mystery to any reader. I suspect you also altered the subject, just to ensure the whole thing becomes an incomprehensible orphan.

Look in my sig below for a means to avoid google foul-ups. Then quote, snip, and bottom-post.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

CBFalconer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Well, he did not alter the subject anyway, and it threads fine in XNews. However as to the other complaints, agreed 100%, judicious quoting, and posting once are desirable.

--
Richard
Reply to

and you will eventually find crosstool, which is what you need.

-- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson. Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Nordic AB.

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

er..heh heh...sorry about that, friends..my browser got stuck, i pressed the "post message" button once too often. wil b more careful in the future :-(

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Allright! Finally, a google user who has learned to use the system. Now I don't know whether he or google is to blame for losing the attributes! I do know who to blame for that silly 'b' though.