ubeam

Tens of millions invested and it doesn't work? I could have told them that.

lunatic fringe electronics

It could work...

If you lived in Atlantis.

Reply to
sunaeco

Many people did. If you have a few minutes to waste, you can listen to the CEO at

She just loves us "jaded" "narrow minded" "linear thinking" "prejudiced" engineers. She's definitely arguing along the lines of: - all revolutionary products were at some point considered crazy ideas - this is a crazy idea, therefore it will be a revolutionary product.

And, at 14:25 she can't wait to give negative engineers the middle finger. Translation: agree with her or suffer.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

it works just fine for it's main purpose; moving money into her pockets

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Actually, I have no reason to believe that such a technology won't work. The problem is, you'd need to transmit ultrasonic energy at SUCH a HUGE power level, it would be very dangerous for any living thing to be around. I can "sense" ultrasonic alarm sensors at some stores, it feels like a pressure in my head, and sometimes a "ringing" in my ears.

I find it hard to believe anybody with the slightest bit of physics knowledge would believe such a ting could be a practical technology.

Before governments gave them (millions of!!) funding, didn't they ask anybody with a science background if they saw any problems?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Is she a dropout? You have to be a dropout to be successful these days.

lunatic fringe electronics

I had a U.S. congressman whip out a 1-AAA LED flashlight and ask me why, if an AAA-alkaline can run a flashlight, why can't we run cars on them? You know, clean, electric power.

He was part of a group of lawmakers getting ready to spend your money on such a thing.

I wrote him a note explaining how many AAA's it would take to run a car, and how much that would cost per mile.

(You're welcome.)

We need to put the federal government in charge of more stuff. They're really great at everything :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

afaict she is an astrobiologist what ever that is. I'm sure this pays much better

but she is a women, it creates headlines for VCs that want to be seen as "progressive" and makes it easy to silence criticism as misogyny.

also it shouldn't take $25M to do a proof-of-concept

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That idea needs a billion, at least.

lunatic fringe electronics

Most politicians are people-people, ie innumerate.

Aren't the batteries in Teslas about AA size? Something like 7000 of them.

lunatic fringe electronics

k.

und.

if

they are a bit bigger than AA

A-battery.jpg

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No. They're 18650 cells (18 x 65mm): AA batteries are about 14 x 50mm.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's "about."

lunatic fringe electronics

The contrapositive does not work that way!

Kool aid.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

The "about" is intentional so I could round off the numbers.

AA batteries vary somewhat in size. An AA cell measures 49.2 - 50.5 mm (1.94 - 1.99 in) in length, including the button terminal, and 13.5 - 14.5 mm (0.53 - 0.57 in) in diameter. So it is written, so it must be.

The small variations in size might seem insignificant, but can be a problem when building battery packs, where the variations tend to accumulate.

18650 dimensions also vary because of an added protection PCB, and the added wire running from the (+) terminal to the protection PCB on the (-) end.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That kind of person is a malignant cancerous tumor on rationality...

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

but apparently it pays well

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

She probably wants to be Elon Musk when she grows up.

Reply to
krw

Form a goofy startup, raise $25e6, live it up for a couple of years, and fail. Nowadays, failure is desirable, so you can do it again and again.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just saw the video. She is really obnoxious.

It's impressive what you can imagine if you don't use numbers.

lunatic fringe electronics