Headhunters, the phone doesn't work

Since I've started my job search, headhunters call me on the phone a lot. They love seeing the word "embedded" on my resume. One told me that embedded work is very lucrative right now. I guess that's why.

One day I realized I was wasting so much time answering their interview questions and getting no real job prospects that I barely had any time left to search for real jobs posted directly by companies that really interested me (I've actually been pleasantly surprised to find a few low-level programming jobs posted directly by major companies on Dice recently).

So, I don't answer the phone anymore. I let my voicemail get it. I figure anyone who's serious will leave a message or send an e-mail. Even headhunters do this sometimes, but it's so much quicker to delete a voicemail or an e-mail.

I wish headhunters would learn there is only one reason I post my resume. It is so companies will respond in an e-mail with a detailed job description or at least their *name*, a link to their *web site*, and their *location* so that I can see the type of work they do and whether I'm willing to relocate to them. Then, if I am interested I will respond. It's the complement to the idea of me sending in my resume to a company. Read description; if interest then respond; else don't respond.

I don't want someone to tease me with a nebulous taunt like, "I've got an embedded job that might interest you. Give me a call." and I don't want someone to send me a job description they copied and pasted from a company's web site (because then I'll just do a Google search to find the original description).

Reply to
BubbaGump

I'm happy in my current job, but even when I was looking to get out of my PPOE my first two questions to pimps were "Where and how much? I'm only talking when you've told me that." -- I work to live, not vice-versa ;)

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "it made about as much sense as a polythene sandwich"
Reply to