soft reset doesn't work

Hi,

can I please have some debug tips on this problem?

I'm using an ARM7 microcontroller (TI TMS470). My program seems to run bug free when it's being loaded by the IDE to flash. When I press the reset button on the development board, it stop running.

I've tried loading an example code to flash and testing it with the reset. It runs from the beginning of the program after reset.

Thanks for helping.

Reply to
wanwan

You are providing much info, so here are some wild guesses...

There's quite some difference between a hard- and a soft-reset. A soft reset often resets only the CPU core, leaving all memory contents and peripherals in their current state. If your code expects to find the hardware nicely reset and initialized, this might be your problem.

You said your program "stops running". I'm quite sure it didn't stop running, but instead it's doing something else then you expected. It's important to find out exactly *what* your CPU is doing after you pressed the reset button. If you don't have any ICE or debugging tools around, switching LEDS or printing stuff to the UART is a good way of tracing your program flow.

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Quite likely the IDE version of the reset code is different from the standalone flash version. One has to provide an IDE (debug) interface, the other doesn't.

I wouldn't expect an IDE version of an app to run correctly after a hardware reset. I *would* expect it to resync with the IDE, though, but perhaps with no application code.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees