U.S. Virgin Islands seizing guns, ammo in anticipation of Irma

. He

s,

not

Gun violence is strikingly down in the period since 1993, despite greatly increased ownership. For example,

"Firearm-related homicides declined 39%, from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011" (U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, NCJ 241730)

Let's reiterate: many more weapons, owners, and higher population, yet actual homicides plummeted, even in absolute numbers.

More guns, *fewer* homicides.

As far as the violence itself, I believe young black men comprising ~1% of the population account for 50% of the murders.

Which leads me to blame the Great Society for creating generations of young men growing up without fathers, fathers being an influence particularly critical to civilizing and socializing young men.

Check out the precipitous rise in homicide coinciding with implementation of The Great Society in 1964-5 (FIG 1, "Homicide victimization rates,

1950?2010").

And while you're there, look at who's doing it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

As always, you're wrong. The vast majority (2/3s) of US gun deaths are suicides. After that, around 80% of the remainder are gang and drug related. IOW, there are criminals involved.

Reply to
krw

As always, you're wrong.

As always, you're wrong. Leftys always are.

Reply to
krw

Exactly. Leftys don't need no steenkin' facts.

Reply to
krw

Right, my bad... I should have waited till I got home. I'm not really a gun owner, (22 and pellet gun single shots for killing varmints.) So it's easy for me to propose laws.. not etiquette, but some responsibility. With the goal of reducing gun deaths/ accidents. If you are going to own a gun, that comes with some responsibility. You can say responsibility is implicit, and laws are an infringement.. like having to wear seat belts when driving a car. Something you should do, but why a law?

I guess at some point I do think some people should not be allowed to own a gun. (Like those with DWI's lose the driving privilege.)

It sounds like you don't think there is any gun problem in the US. So... we're starting at different places.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Exactly. Why? Same with motorcycle helmets. Some states don't require them but the nanny-state (federal government) extorted the states into requiring seat belts. Why?

Those who have been convicted of a felony *CAN'T* (legally) own a gun, now.

What amazes me is that people who (you) are so gun-ho to limit the freedoms and safety of others won't even take the effort to know what the state of the law is today. You want to make new laws without

*any* understanding of reality.

Reply to
krw

Krw doesn't understand "wrong" the way the rest of do. For him, disagreeing with him is what makes you wrong, and since he is a right-wing nitwit - pr etty much the defining sample of the breed - anybody to his left in the pol itical spectrum is going to be wrong (which is pretty much everybody - Jame s Arthur may just scrape in as being far-right enough).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

During which time the percentage of households with guns "increased greatly" from about 47% to about 37%

Jasen Betts

Right, I don't want to limit your freedom or safety. Here in NY Cuomo pushed through the "safe act" soon after Sandy Hook. ~1/3 of my neighbor's still have signs in their yards calling for it's repeal. I've talked with them and agree (or don't disagree) with their reasons for not liking the law. (It doesn't effect me.)

Still I'd like some rational response to what looks to me like a gun crazy country. The idea that the solution is for every one to start 'packing heat', also sounds crazy. (To me.) I guess I'm hoping for ideas from gun owners.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Didn't the story go that you were a "lefty" until some East German guard pointed a gun at you because you stepped across the "Don't step across this line or you'll be shot" line? Yup, see, that was your own silly fault. You're frankly lucky the guard didn't blow your head off immediately, and you're not even grateful! He showed you mercy, some other guard definitely might not have.

Naturally, Reagan was a narcissist (like most presidents and probably

40% of the American population) who believed he knew better than everyone else. He was a habitual black-and-white thinker, like, what else would you expect him to say.

And Reagan was always loaded with a snarky, dismissive comment when it suited him, good grief he was the master at it. Are we not talking about the same guy?

Reagan had his charming Gipper personality that he turned on for the TV cameras, but in reality he was a pretty nasty piece of work who believed that rules didn't apply to him and that the ends justified the means, violated laws that he himself had signed off on and would gladly support the violent overthrow of any government, even democratically-elected ones, that weren't on the ball with doing America's bidding.

Sounds about right

Reply to
bitrex

You won't find one; America is full of disordered, angry people who have a psychological need to feel like they're constantly fighting for something, against someone. That histrionic component has been a part of American politics from the very beginning - whether those people know what it is they're "fighting" for exactly or what they would do with it if they got it is a totally open question. I don't think they know.

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin wrote on 9/6/2017 11:32 AM:

Yes, shooting a rifle into a tree is the ideal way of collecting nuts. I wonder what type of nut will be hit by the bullet when it comes down? Too bad it won't be the nut that pulled the trigger.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman
:

ix

ng

a.

ne

ner

ill

ing

there are so many guns in the US they are never going away, so how about te aching some basic gun safety in schools

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"Looks like?" How about some facts instead of nervous-Nelly feelings? I'll give you an idea - educate yourself! Hint: CNN isn't a useful source.

Reply to
krw