A plugboard obsessive

That was supposed to be a working computer, even after the cat jumped over it

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

My experience with such boards is that the connections are less than reliable. I find it difficult to believe something of that complexity could work.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Presumably the constructor used a new board to minimise that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

Waste of time.

Reply to
krw

That is cheating, they used wires with different colours :-)

Some used wire-wrap to build individual boards as well as backplanes with only yellow wire-wrap wires.

Reply to
upsidedown

The way I "do" prototyping stuff with logic now that isn't high-speed enough to require dead bug on copperclad is get everything in SOIC and mount it to these "surfboards":

SOIC is large enough that it's pretty straightforward to hand-solder. Then mount it to a high quality piece of "blob board" (I like green the bests) and use fine solid-core silver wire, maybe 26 gauge to directly tie together the blobs.

Work in progress:

Reply to
bitrex

Why not put the wires on top where you can see them?

Or, for fast stuff, skip the wires.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I use the swanky blob-board which has very large rectangular pads, so there's only a thin gap of mask between holes. If I'm careful in my layout I can just make most of the "traces" out of solder runs, like a single-sided PCB.

I didn't know anyone still made old-timey SRAMs in a DIP package. The Alliance parallel SRAM is nice and pretty cheap too!

Reply to
bitrex

Telephone wiring in Lebanon, _with_ cat:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Several companies do.

Even for bicycles :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Looks great! SHIP IT

Reply to
bitrex

Not possible because people are using it to call other people.