Tying Chassis Ground to Signal Ground

You must be a Microsoft manager.

Reply to
krw

I know CA is a movin' and shakin' place, but a mile a year is ridiculous!

Reply to
krw

:-)

Back when I worked at Electroglas, one of the wafer inspection systems we were getting ready to ship failed FCC emissions miserably, and our solution at the time was to slap rather large ferrites on every single cable coming out of a computer or other high-speed logic board. In all there were a couple dozen of those big ferrite filters, although you only saw them if you removed the very nice stainless steel panels ("skins") of the machine. (There's a small picture of that machine here:

)

In retrospect this is a case where finding a good consultant to help out with the design would have ended up costing less than all those filters did over time, but as a then-relatively-new-engineer, the economics of the situation didn't really even occur to me. (And unlike some companies, we weren't just inherently all that anti-consultant either... we had one who initially wrote us a Windows NT device driver who eventually became a regular employee, and another who wrote up some VHDL code for interfacing to the video cameras who was hired based on something like a 3-6 month assignment, and was still there several years later -- having added a lot of value over time -- when the division was shut down. It was a mixed bag overall, though -- we had one consultant who was supposed to help design the optics stack in the microscope, and another who was supposed to write up some VHDL to perform image processing algorithms within our big FPGA; both of those guys were pretty much worthless.)

Cool, I'm glad you like it!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Well, yes and no. All five on the back of the dock were already in use, but the ThinkPad had three open (one I use for my MP3 player). ;-) Kinda defeats the purpose of the Dock, though. I'll have to get a decent hub.

Reply to
krw

When I was at LM, one of the regular employees was doing the VHDL for the image rotation hardware[*]. He was in well over his head, but left before that house crumbled. I made sure I stepped well back when that part of the project came up!

[*] The cameras were on a mount that swiveled to get a full view through the porthole. The swivel put in a rotation, which if transferred to the operators a few decks down wouldn't do their lunches any good.

It works great. I now have 15", 24", and 21" monitors (5160 x 1080-1200 ;). The only thing it doesn't do is rotate the image, not that I'd be likely to use it that way.

Reply to
krw

cable.

that

;-)

I see that seven port hubs are common now. When I bought my first USB hub all I could find was four or less.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

message

out

cable.

little

that

;-)

I had a couple of seven-port hubs; five on the back and two on top, for USB sticks. They were really handy, but didn't last more than six months each. That's why I said "decent" above.

Reply to
krw

The right answer is about an inch per year, the same as your fingernails grow.

Hal Murray

message

out

cable.

little

that

;-)

defeats

That's interesting. I've never had any USB hub fail. I have a pile of good used ones, including the used, no-name seven port hub on this computer.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK, ya got me - I picked the number out of the air. (actually, I was inspired by the '60s hippie song "In the year 2525".)

25250 sound better? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

te

)

s!

I remember the '60s, do you? ;-)

Given Hal's 1"/yr (I've heard 1cm), how about 35350000?

Reply to
keithw86

Care to expand?

I have both a Fluke 87 and a GSM cellphone.

The cell lives in my shirt pocket all the time.

The 87 behaves perfectly at all times, despite being a few inches away on the bench.

Am I missing something?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

You probably don't have a teenage daughter that sends text messages around all the time :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yeah, but 'Cisco partially succeded from reality over 50 years ago.

Reply to
JosephKK

^^^^^^^^

Seceded?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Please con't call it Cisco or Frisco.

Around here, we just call it The City.

John

?

It's sad, really. Used to have the fine name 'Yerba Buena', could STILL have it, but some Christian activists went and renamed it after that Frank guy.

Reply to
whit3rd

And if you ever go to Biloxi, MS., don't call it Bil-Ox-ee, call it Bil-Ux-ee. (howcome when they extended ASCII, they didn't include a schwa?)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oh, I've been to Biloxi lots of times.

Note that New Orleans is

Nawlins

Noo Or-le-ennes

Noo Orlinz

but never, never New Orleenz except in songs.

John