Re: Favorite On-Topic Answers on RCM

To date, the best I've seen was in response to "How do you drill a

> curved hole?". > > Answer: "Give it to an apprentice and ask him to drill a straight hole". > > Any others? (Leaving out the politics and religion, please?)

Y'know, ever since I saw those diagrams of the "relief well(s)" in the Gulf Spill news, I've wondered - how _DO_ you drill a bent hole?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

(check the See Also menu at the bottom)

See also "mud motor"

Gunner, heart of the oil fields

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Your welcome.

It can be rather fascinating to figure out how the boys do things out in the patch.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Carefully...

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I've often wondered. I've asked contacts in the oil industry from time to time. The usual response is a hasty subject change, or just embarrassed silence. I guess it's for initiates only.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

For an angled hole someplace really inaccessible

'Versibit+shank

Reply to
JeffM

Not a real detailed explanation, but includes diagrams of bottom hole assemblies for 2 of the methods of curved bore drilling.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Also google "whipstock"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks, but since I installed the new adblocking hosts file:

I get basically a blank page.

Thanks anyway! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

.

OK I don't know how they drill a curve. But what I find even more remarkable is that they know where the end of the drill bit is in three dimensions to perhaps a 1 meter accuracy... maybe better. I mean they have to hit this other well several miles down.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Just get close and pop a cap on it...