two switcher circuits

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Cute. Sure is going to need some input filtering though!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have to resist the temptation to put bypass caps across voltage sources in Spice. The LTM8078 apparently has inductors but no caps. Even that is impressive. Can anybody x-ray one for me?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Not a switcher, but expedient:

Reply to
bitrex

Driving the adj pin of a 3t regulator is an under-appreciated trick. They are nice, cheap, thermally limited power amps.

We have standardized on 24 volt warts for small boxes, so we want to switch mostly. So multiple outputs from tiny switchers is good.

Just minutes ago I got this:

The idea is to get away from the boring Hammond boxes. This is a semi-custom extrusion with nice grounding and thermals. We plan to laser blast the anodize for external artwork.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

dl=0

Who made those boxes for you? I have an upcoming project where I need something similar.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

They cut one of their extrusions to length and machined it per our drawing. The blue anodize color is a little garish, so we'll ask them to tone it down a bit next time.

The holes are drilled/tapped after anodize, so are conductive and don't have the problems that the self-tappers do on the Hammond boxes. Like metal shavings everywhere and stripped screws.

We add a couple of metal bars inside that the board bolts to.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I noticed that the LM317 is OK with its input sitting about 4-5" from the +/-50 switcher output filter caps, but without some extra filtering closer to the regulator the LM337 is unhappy about it and starts oscillating at low frequency

Hammond makes some nice transformers at reasonable prices for e.g. vacuum tube amps but their enclosures sure are drab!

Reply to
bitrex

My eyes! My eyes!

Yeah, it would be good to get them to tone it down a bit. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What part number is this? What color specification?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

The 337's pass transistor is an NPN, so its output is via the collector, much like modern LDOs. It's a perfectly good part when used as directed, but far less forgiving than the emitter-follower 317.

And tsk tsk on using those parts from a 50V supply--or are you using the HV variants? (IDK if there's any difference apart from testing, of course.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Get serious, I'm only running 2 mA in that LED. We were wondering how it would look, just the led on the PCB and a hole drilled into the end plate. The light bounces around in the hole and it actually looks pretty good from all angles. Don't need no light pipe.

I kinda like it, but some other people here don't. The Chinese seem to like bright primary colors, and it generally looks good on them.

We're investigating getting a 20-watt n/c fiber laser to blast the lettering in-house.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's the case I'm referring to. I might have a low threshold, but electric blue anodize screams "aliexpress" to me. Of course, we're still using the black Hammond boxes round here, so perhaps it's my inner Amishman talking. ;)

Fun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, I knew that.

We found the Hammonds to be mechanically messy too. They don't always saw the ends off the extrusions at a 90 degree angle.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Very nice.

Never ever use self-tappers. They work loose with vibration, and cut new paths when you re-insert them. You don't even need to tap if you use trilobular (thread-forming) screws. Taptite is one brand, but it's a DIN standard.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The input-output voltage differential on the top and bottom 317 and 337 exceeds the 40V limit for about 200 microseconds on startup with the

+/-50 rails coming up in the sim way faster than they actually would IRL. I think it'll be okay. It's not going into production it's a place-holder to test the main board until I can get around to buying or building a PS that doesn't consume so much power for the client
Reply to
bitrex

Shipments are suffering delays to my location and my girlfriend is in our home in another state (RI) that's banned non-essential cross-border traffic, I'm not a RI resident, and they're busting and fining people they seem to be serious about it. let the Constitutional scholars fight over it later.

some of my gear is stuck there, while I'm working on caring for an elderly parent up here at home in MA, no way she's staying some other place right now.

Doing some under-the-gun engineering here lol

Reply to
bitrex

People extrude 3/4 holes in things like this, and then use self-tapping screws. The partial holes tend to break taps.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

People don't make things to be serviced. Self-tappers can be ok in the absence of vibration or the need to service.

Tapping deep holes in Al is fraught - the correct technique involves lots of reversals, and in large sizes, multiple passes with different taps, so it's slow.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That could be bad. I haven't seen that problem from them, but maybe I've managed to avoid Monday morning boxes. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs