Twisted News

Here's how the BBC twists news....

And even some of our courts are so stupid that they rule on a ACLU suit about TAPS, when the "scheme" was simply LOGGING from/to data.

...Jim Thompson

It will be interesting to see how the donkey twists this one.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Jim, you are confusing the rulings on two different claims that were made.

The ruling against the government concerns the practice literal wiretapping, ie, content interception, in calls where one party is overseas.

There was also a claim of recording the who called who data, and the AP has this to say about that one:

"Taylor dismissed a separate claim by the ACLU over data-mining of phone records by the NSA. She said not enough had been publicly revealed about that program to support the claim and further litigation could jeopardize state secrets."

Reply to
cs_posting

You haven't heard?

The Democrats have decided to join the war on terrorism....

By attacking Wal-mart, as "not middle class" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Glad to hear that. I had only seen the first wire across the bottom of my screen.

Also saw that my own hometown airport (Tri-State) had been closed due to a little old lady with a bottle of liquid ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Whatever happened to the land of the free where it's a crime to have a bottle of water ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That wouldn't be the Little Old Lady From Pasadena with a quart of fuel nitro, would it? {;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Tri-State Airport, at the juncture of Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, on the west end of Huntington, WV, my hometown.

...Jim Thompson

In message , Jim Thompson writes

Humour me Jim, how is this twisted? I'm in the UK so I don't get to see the American media often and wouldn't know where to start looking to reference this.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug

2006, Clint Sharp writes

Apparently it wasn't, but there was confusion. There were two cases, the one the BBC reported and the one Jim thought it meant.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

"scheme" ??

...Jim Thompson

I was always told that it's West 'By God!' Virginia ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

The word "scheme" doesn't necessarily have negative connotations in BrE. It's often used to describe government programs. Eg.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Indeed! I fled the place when I graduated high school. It's still the land of Byrd and Rockefeller... keep 'em poor and barefoot and on welfare... so they'll vote Democrat ;-)

BTW, Byrd was elected to the Senate the same year I graduated from high school... 1958. And he's still there.

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, PeteS writes

Is that 'By' or 'Oh'?

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Ever been there? It's actually quite a scenic state. But with pretty severe unemployment and far-reaching general ignorance, aka Democrats ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And I remember seeing advert cards on the trains and subway in London about "morgtage schemes", etc. It seemed pretty amusing to someone only used to the AmEnglish usage of the word.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Now THAT'S twisted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yes, more like "plan" in that context. Lots of ads for Corby trouser presses and Beano, IIRC.

Now, if you want news from bit of a different angle, The Independent is a pretty good start, for a mainstream UK newspaper:

"I think that John Prescott is to be commended for the quality of his political analysis. His comment on American policy is brief and accurate."

-- Ian Davidson Glasgow South West MP

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On the other hand, 'scheming' IS pejorative in British English.

I am amused by the slogan 'Catch of the Day' at the supermarket fish counter. 'Catch' can mean 'deception'. 'Snag' is another synonym.