Using XD picture card for data storage

Has anyone managed to use an XD picture card for data storage? If so I'd appreciate some advice.

I understand that the XD picture card is electrically similar to the smartmedia card, but there appears to be a lack of definitive information.

I'm attempting to upgrade a product which uses a smartmedia card to use an XD picture card. The application works fine with a small (16Mb) XD card. The problem occurs with two different 256Mb card. Specifically, the XD card pulls the BUSY signal low when 4th address byte is written. It stays low and only a reset command will release it. The problem has worsened in that BUSY sometimes stuck low after a write command and only occasionally after writing the address. Now it happens every time the address is written.

Incidentally, the card behaves normally in a USB card reader attached to my PC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Swaby

Since you have to spin the PCB anyway, I suggest you upgrade to SD/MMC. xD is a relatively unpopular, totally closed format. MMC and SD are at least semi-open.

Reply to
zwsdotcom