Someone needs to inform the BBC...

that area marked "USA" is the State of Arizona ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I always suspected that California wasn't part of the USA.

But the BBC has laid off the few people who ever knew anything, and kept the cheaper ones who make things up.

John

I think that the BBC is assuming - probably correctly - that everybody knows that California is one of the united states of America, but is pointing out that it borders on Mexico to the south and to the rest of the USA to the east.

In the context of the story, the identity of the adjacent states to the east is irrelevant. Who cares if they are Nevada or Arizona? Not that the identity of a stretch of right-winger infested desert would matter much even if it were relevant.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

A sense of instant consanguinity with the scorpions drew them there. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Are you sure california is part of the US? I think there are more mexicans in there and US citizens...

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Or maybe the semiconductor industry. Thank goodness the UK has almost eliminated all of theirs.

John

Poor bastard Slowman, are you on furlough from the asylum ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Why so many Mexicans in California? Oh yeah, California used to belong to Mexico! What a surprise!

Ceded to the United States by Mexico in 1848.

I tell you, the Indians should have insisted on passports and visas when those boat people landed on Plymouth Rock back in 1620. And deportation proceedings should have begun immediately.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Imagine what California (and the southwest in general) would be like if it was still part of Mexico.

John

It's in a slightly bigger font. Like Mexico.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I'd imagine California would be like Baja California...

What were you imagining?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Unspoiled, beautiful, safe, clean air, very few military installations. Yup.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And crooked Mexican cops all over the place ;-)

...Jim Thompson

mexicans

I didn't realise that the mexicans are republicans :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

[snip]

Martin, You furriners ought to have the good sense to keep your misinformed comments to yourselves.

If you find a crooked COP in the USA it is a 99.44% certainty that he is a Democrat. Check out Boston as a prime example.

...Jim Thompson

"It isn\'t that democrats are ignorant. Far from it... it\'s just that
they know so much that just isn\'t so"     -Ronald Reagan

Exactly. Like Mexico City, or Tijuana.

John

[snip]

Sno-o-o-o-o-ort!

When our daughters were of high school age we had several Mexican exchange students (also Japanese, but that's a separate story).

These were relatively rich kids, primarily from Guadalajara.

When our daughters reciprocated into Mexico they found themselves escorted around by armed guards carrying Uzi's.

Mexicans are almost as crooked as Democrats.

...Jim Thompson

"It isn\'t that democrats are ignorant. Far from it... it\'s just that
they know so much that just isn\'t so"     -Ronald Reagan

Nah, the whole world knows that the republicans are mediocre bunch of criminals that make the Mafia look good, philosophically, anyway, and they have Standards.

Meet you in your local bar at 1900 hours, bring your boxing gloves :-)

I'll bring Eeyore as my backup..................:-( If you want a piss up I'll contact Genome

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith
[snip]

Martin, Aren't you in Spain somewhere?

Reminds of a Japanese exchange student we housed...

A year after the stay her father, a tire executive for a Japanese branch of a US tire company, called and wanted me to join him for lunch... in Portland OR ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it... it's just that
they know so much that just isn't so"     -Ronald Reagan

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:04:06 -0700, John Larkin wrote: ...

There wouldn't be anybody to pay for the welfare? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria