Transistors

(to ground, of course) Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:21:46 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Won't work on open CMOS gates :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

[snip]

Yep.

...Jim Thompson

This is turning into a better exercise than my "half-bias" I posted here years ago. I think I'll steal it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A good 75% of the respondents would say it's close to V_b, instead of V_e, I bet. I get emails from lots of confused people building laser noise cancellers. Those use a diff pair, one side of which has both its base and collector grounded, and these folks have real trouble believing that that transistor is in normal bias.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[snip]

Wonder who that'd be ?:-)

If they'd listened instead of randomly deviating from my advice their Board (albeit one of the stingiest I've ever seen) might have hung in there a little longer.

...Jim Thompson

OK, next step up:

What is Vb? Ve?

John

John! You've created the universal employment test vehicle!

The amusing/distressing part of this is that no answers have been forthcoming.

How about posting an E-mail address to send answers?

Then you can grade the respondents.

I'll lay you some side bets on who won't (be able to) answer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Nah, mostly graduate students.

Did Stheno go south? I hadn't heard. I agree about the listening though...by and large, they were one of the better ones--but at least in their front ends, they made the fatal error of not starting with what was known to work and then twiddling that. I've seen lots worse.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Far as I can tell. I got paid, but others seem to have been stiffed.

...Jim Thompson

Hey, this is fun.

What are Vb, Ve?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I don't see how Vb could be much above Vc, so about 5.7V and maybe

5.8V, depending on currents. Call it 5.75V. I'd expect Ve to be then 5.0V (dropping from Vb by a similar Vbe.) So Ie would be 1mA. Ib would have to (10-5.75)/1k or about 4.25mA. Ic would have to then be the difference between that and Ie, which would be 3.25mA.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Good point. John didn't spec NPN or PNP.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Oh, let's assume NPN in all cases. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Lynching's assault, not discrimination. And it's in-your-face (if it ever even happens any more), so you can fight it. You have recourse. People get arrested and put away for it.

In Jan's example you'd be unable to get a job but never know why. That's wrong.

That they have that stereotype *is* discriminating against people based on their skin color; that they feel free to cite and discuss it as a factor in hiring means it's tolerated.

I'm amazed that countries that regularly throw stones at America think nothing of discrimination we'd consider abhorrent.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Ok, but denying life is still a tad worse than denying a job, both based on skin color.

It's rather wrong to hang, or drag someone to death, based on skin color too. Because it is "in-your-face" doesn't make one any less dead.

No argument, here. My disagreement with you was with your hyperbole, not that discrimination (based on skin color) is somehow "good".

Sure. Many don't see their hatred of Jews as being just as reprehensible.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Or some of the voltage dividers I've seen. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Easy. B-C is forward biased.

Tim

Tim Williams

Larkin

uc

me

worked,

Sure, but that's murder, a hyperbolic example. It's also extremely rare.

We don't disagree. I'm just insisting (somewhat stuffily) that lynching isn't discrimination, it's a worse offense in another category.

Jan's example is the "worst kind" in that a) many, many more people suffer by it, b) it's sneaky, insidious--even the people not affected by it can never be quite sure.

Indeed.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Please refrain from linking us to that really boring stuff. I have told you time and again that your work makes me ill, very boring pedestrian stuff.

What's the problem with the 'TI opamp' ? Tell us something interesting.

I'm not interested in what you, or people like you, call design...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs