BJT question

I'm quite rusty on BJTs and am taking a class to refresh my memory. I have the following problem and am uncertain if I'm doing it right or not.

Given 2n3904, desired use amplification at ambient. Desired Ic=50mA.

a) what is Ib? I calculated as Ib=50/60=0.83mA using hfe=60 from data sheet

b) what is Vce? This I am totally unsure about-- I said Vce = Pd/Ic =

625mW/50mA = 12.5V

c) what will Vce be if we want to drive the 2n3904 to the brink of saturation?

I found a datasheet curve for CE sat vs. Ic and read the value of Vce=~0.08.

Am I on the right track? I'm confused that Vce of 12.5 is much, much more that Vsat of 0.08 from the curve. Is this kosher? Like I said am am RUSTY on discretes....

Thanks,

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Rusty? Indeed! There is too much to explain here. Go back to your textbook and _read_ carefully!

...Jim Thompson

You need to know the following equations:

Ie = Ic + Ib Ic = beta*Ib Vb = Ve + 0.7V

Now if you do not use any biasing for the transistor(a bad idea) and want Ic=50mA with beta = 50 then Ib = 1mA and Ie = 51mA.

So just sending in 1mA will get you about 50mA "out"(or in at the collector).

To do that you can ground Ve so that Vb = 0.7V(you can approximate this as

0V if you want but is essentially a diode drop).

Vcc ---- R ---- Vb (Base of transistor) "diode" ---- Emitter --- (ground)

R can then be calculated to get 1mA to the base, i.e.

(Vcc - Vb)/R = 1mA

If, say Vcc is 5.7V then

R = 5.7/1mA = 5.7kOhm

So using a 5.7k resistor will get you about 1mA base current which will get you about 50mA collector current.

This is not a good design though because its very unstable(beta will change with temperator and other factors).

You should read a book or look on the net for various "biasing" methods that help stabilize the transistor so that it is "independent" of beta and depends only on the components around it.

In the above case obviously Vce depends on the load we attach to the collector or emitter. (we have 51mA going through the emitter)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Jon,

Thanks for the help. I think I got it now...

Bo

Reply to
Bo

a sheet

Isn't the data sheet hfe value a minimum? It's not '=3D0.83 mA', really, but rather '

Reply to
whit3rd

Jim; you should have at least directed him to work on operation point / DC solution / quiescent point (Q-point), and the definition of edge of saturation.

Reply to
JosephKK

[snip]

I would have, but the recitation of his problem sounded to me like he was reading from a homework sheet rather than expressing his true confusion.

If he'd expressed _any_ comprehension at all I would have jumped in to fill the gaps.

We already have enough bad engineers and technicians ;-)

...Jim Thompson

In your case, you just forget about power until you compute all the voltages and currents. Just stick to Ohm's law and the current loops in the transistor circuit. In the case of Vce you simply have Vcc=IcRc+Vce+IcRe+Vee, assuming an emitter bias resistor and power supply (Vee may be 0V), making Vce=(Vcc-Vee)/(Rc+Re). That formula neglects the Ib component of Ie but in most cases it is so small it is justified, less than 2% in your case. As for transistor saturation, recall that this is the condition of having both junctions forward biased. "On the brink of saturation" is taken to mean the BC junction is neither forward or reverse biased but has 0V across it. Then using the fact that Vce=Vcb+Vbe and Vcb=0, makes Vce=Vbe which will be around

0.75V for most small signal stuff at Ic=50mA. The transistor saturation curves show Vce vs Ic in deep saturation where the base drive is much much greater than the base drive in the active region, usually at Ib=Ic/10, so you don't want to use those curves.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

whoops..that should be Vce=(Vcc-Vee)-Ic(Rc+Re).

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:57:31 -0700 in sci.electronics.design, Jim Thompson wrote,

I read the original post and figured "here is exactly the kind of question Jim Thompson can answer if he wants to" so I marked the thread for retrieval, hoping to learn some electronics. Silly me.

Reply to
David Harmon

If I posted one of my past tutorials, would you read it? Or ask disconnected, unreferenced questions like the OP?

I have a ton of stuff, some of which is already lurking there on my website, if you're interested.

...Jim Thompson

Legitimate viewpoint. I had perceived it as being so far down in the mud as to no longer be able to state a coherent question. Nor did i give OP anymore information than what i had stated.

Reply to
JosephKK

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:54:41 -0700 in sci.electronics.design, Jim Thompson wrote,

I always have plenty to read, so don't put yourself out on my account. I also read more than I ask questions. If you post an answer to any of my questions, I will certainly read it.

Reply to
David Harmon