Sony TV Picture Squeezed In, Died

I have a 27" Sony Trinitron TV, model KV-27S15. It is 10 years old. It's been a great TV until it broke. :-) (I love the dark picture tube.)

For about a minute before it died, the picture squeezed in from the right a couple of inches. After that the TV just shut off and it won't give any signs of life now.

I found a description of this problem on this newsgroup's FAQ on the web (which is how I found this newsgroup), but I'm afraid that the description of the problem is all Greek to me.

I'd like to repair the TV if it is not too expensive (otherwise I might buy a new, larger TV :-) Is this repairable and how much might it cost?

Thanks.

Reply to
Matt B.

Usually it is the horizontal output transistor that fails.

Might cost $150 - 200 to repair depending on where you live.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

buy

If the picture was good before it died and the unit is in good cosmetic shape then it's probably worth having fixed, if the troubleshooting sounds like Greek you should take it to a shop though, it does require some skill to track down the problem.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try checking the power supply capacitors, will be hi voltage, about 165VDC. BE CAREFUL If that don't work check vertical side capacitors. You will be checking for microfarad value. The part will be blue or gray in color, and about an inch tall. If you do the work yourself it will be about 10 to 12 dollars. If you take it to a shop it will be anywhere from

150 to 250 dollars. But it could be the flyback, what the 160v source drives. The flyback runs allot, including the hi voltage to the picture tube and what not. Ask more if you need. The vertical side is usually on the right looking from back. The flyback is on the right back w/a thicker red wire coming out of it, looking from the back. Donald

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt B." Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 8:50 PM Subject: Sony TV Picture Squeezed In, Died

buy

buy

Reply to
Donald

Fellas... your thoughtful and knowledgeable replies are needed for an inquiry I posted yesterday "ViewSonic P225f Horizontal Shrinks & Expands" posted as "clintonG" with nearly exact same behavior as Travis has explained. Could either of you review my concerns and respond?

Try checking the power supply capacitors, will be hi voltage, about

Reply to
clintonG

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre