Tingles from power supply

Line filters both keep noise OUT of your device, and keep noise that your device makes from getting out. Mainly of the EMI type.

A quote from wiki:

A line filter may be used to attenuate EMI in either direction. For example: Emissions: It may be used to reduce the unintentional conducted emission from the equipment, to a level sufficiently low to pass regulatory limits (such as FCC part 15). For example, in switching power supplies.

Immunity: It may be used to reduce the level of EMI entering the equipment, to a level sufficiently low not to cause any undesired behavior. For example, in equipment used in Radio Transmitter facilities.

As soon as she said RFI I laughed, and then the donkey agreed. I busted a gut!

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

I will grant that a small proportion of the world mainly in America wrongly calls them bulbs ( that is why I said almost no one)But no one calls the other things dongles

Reply to
F Murtz

If you look in reference publications or even wikipedia You will find that they are called neon lamps

Reply to
F Murtz

Sounds line that wall wart is a transformer rather than a switcher supply. A bit messy adding a ground line which shoud connect to the transformer laminations.

Reply to
Robert Baer

RFI? Think not; that voltage is about half the line, and is from capacitave coupling from primary to secondary (if transformer type).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Look, dumbfuck, an AMERICAN invented the light bulb, and ANY light producing transducer encapsulated in glass has been called a bulb ever since, and NO, it is not merely "mainly in America", you stupid twit.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

Wrong. ALL light bulbs CAN also be referred to as lamps.

Are you really so thick as to think that there is only one moniker?

If so, you are worse than my original estimation pegged you as.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

I will also grant that this debate about "bulbs" is trivial But not so outlandishly stupid as calling those small power supplies dongles !

Reply to
F Murtz

Don't like it? Too bad. Stamp your little foot, then go eat toothpaste and hold your breath until you turn blue.

Fuck Off - you're a miserable gimp drooling over a keyboard, leaving greasy nose prints on the screen. Who are you to tell anyone what to do, you whimpering little shit colony?

Reply to
Bill Palmer

It has nothing to do with whether I like it or not. It shows you for the pussy boy that you are. The case of foot stamping is more likely with a "gosh dope" like you than a drill sgt type like me.

Bwuahahahahaha!

Ooooo struck a nerve! Hahahaha!

You're a retarded little cotton mouthed pussy, wishing you knew how to drool at all, leaving greasy pussy boy messages in Usenet.

My screen is 2. One is 24" and the other is 46", and my nose is about 3 feet away at any given time.. from the small screen. The larger screen is even farther away. So much for your retarded little pussy boy prods.

Someone that is mile above a whimpering, quivering little descending colon like you. You are not only full of shit, but you also sling it all over the world.

Go away, anus face.

Bwuahahahahahahahahaha!

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

That depends on their size, and after they get too big to hang on the outlet, they become in-line units that lie on the floor.

ANY supply fed by a std IEC power cord has them, I can practically guarantee it. Nearly all of those are switchers too.

Nearly any from a major maker like Sony does.

Yes, most outlet hung devices do not have said filtration, and most are not switchers either... but a few are.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

AFAIK wall warts never use line filters.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In fact many, if not most new manufacturer supplied plug packs are switchers these days. The cost is now similar, with the bonus of less weight, and usually universal supply voltage.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

All but the big name boys buy from an OEM supplier, and even some of the big guys do as well.

The small wall hung jobs only are switchers if the power need calls for it. If it a simple trickle charger or other such low draw device, you will still find the old style in use. Also true if ripple figure does not pose a problem, like in cases where the regulation circuitry is in the device. It is cheaper, and Chinese makers ship by the container full, with weight only adding to cost when it is overtly different. There are even AC 'feeders' for this purpose. Particularly since OEMers still have tens of thousands of them on hand.

As you know, end of year inventories do not have the same consequence over there as it does here, so an order for 100k of something might cause an mfg run of 140k pieces. So there is surely a huge glut of the old style devices still available. Also, transformers themselves are still very cheap, and get made in even bigger quantities on practically unattended machines.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

You know what they say. The bigger the screen, the smaller the knob.

Be careful, you're showing your fetish again.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Leave it to a total retard like you to be so stupid as to think that such a number is possible. You're an idiot.

Don't be so full of yourself, s*****ad.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

switchers

Which has nothing to do with transformer Vs switching supply choice though. The OEM's make both.

Maybe, but since trickle chargers are far less comon now, that is a shrinking market. Your undefined claim of "most are not switchers" and "few are" is what I dispute. It is certainly not my experience with new products.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

That was not the point. The point was that the bigger makers actually spend more thought, time, and resources to make supplies that will last longer and provide 'cleaner' power rail(s). Those makers make their own designs.

Of course OEMs make both.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The easiest way to tell is by weight.

Can you tell if a handgun is loaded or not by the feel in your hand? If so, you should have enough brains to make a valid declaration about what is inside a plastic box that you hang on your outlet... by feel as well.

I certainly can.

Reply to
FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsist

though.

And the connection with the disputed claim "most are not switchers" and "few are" is what exactly? And how does that affect his claim "All but the big name boys buy from an OEM supplier, and even some of the big guys do as well" in any case?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T