300 amp power supply

I am designing a 300 amp 18v input dc 15v output dc. Thats a lot of amp. I am wandering. Should i use a sepic convertion. Analog.. With resistors or just mosfets in paralle. Or again bjt ??

Thanks

Reply to
captoro

I've done 5V/400A. I suggest you buy one off-the-shelf... it's not a task for beginners. ...Jim Thompson

Litz wire inductors, gets expensive for one offs.

Martin Riddle

Many years ago I learned the hard way... melted bobbins... 9th harmonic presents significant power dissipation... switched to Litz.

(I used copper tape for the output winding.) ...Jim Thompson

Beside buying one.what is the better technique?

Reply to
captoro

Jim. How much would you ask for your 400A plans?

Reply to
captoro

I'm not sure I even have them... it was 1977, a project for ADR Ultrasound... and I'm sure there are better ways now... there were no switcher-specific chips then. ...Jim Thompson

Only $5,860. Ouch.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Buy the inductors from Coilcraft. Use a polyphase buck, as long as the

18 volts doesn't droop too much.

Still, this won't be easy.

That's just for supplying the 18v 300A to the input. If the load is fairly constant, and there's a common ground between input and output, it might be possible to use a 0.01 ohm series resistor from 18V to 15V at 300A. Regulation would be lousy and you would need to do something with the 900 watts of heat, but it sure would be a cheap way to lose

3V DC.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Im not sure coilcraft has inductors to handle that much current. Ive used their coils for sepic projects. But never more then 10 amps. Now 300amp is a whole different story.

Reply to
captoro

Hi i need a very stable and accurate 15v.. Not sure just a resistor will do

Reply to
captoro

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:30:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Notice that his is not a line driven PS, but a DC to DC converter.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A polyphase switcher shares the current among multiple paths, usually

2 to 4. That has huge advantages.

You could also parallel smaller inductors. Eight inductors in a

4-phase switcher is only 38 amps each, which is in the Coilcraft sort of range.

I think LTC has some polyphase switcher controllers.

Still, it's going to be a challenge.

What do you need the 15 volts for?

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:45:01 -0700 (PDT), captoro Gave us:

Use car batteries..

Even a mall change DC to DC converter like that which you describe will not get you what you are after. It might end up at 15V but when loaded up at your mentioned current level, it would exhibit several types of noise compared to actual DC sources. You are going to have a hard time getting to your goal if pure DC is in order . "Stable and accurate" is actually a pretty vague 'moniker' where power supplies are concerned, even DC-to-DC converters.

Hell, banks of 13 rechargeables in parallel with a small (small value, not small size) tail end dropping resistor would be cleaner.

1.2 x 13 = 15.6 Have several banks of those. 3.7 x 4 = 14.8 and they are usually a little hot after a fresh charge, so a "battery" built from banks of those would be stable until they reach their avalanche point. And very close to 15 volts.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My client didnt tell me. Its a battery place. Actually he needs 14.5v not 15v. So maybe its for charging batteries. Just left a message on my voicemail

Reply to
captoro

Take a look at Miller DC inverter welder power units. They are right in you range of voltage and current.

They use IGBTs.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Miller uses 120v or more on the input..not same approach. Sepic converter wouls be great if doable because i can have programmable chip verifying the output voltage and can make adjustments while powered to have a steady output voltage

Reply to
captoro

Yes, you are right. I read it wrong also.

Reply to
Tom Miller

That's why John said to use a polyphase buck. The only issue is current sharing. I've used CoilCraft inductors to ~30A. THe SER2918H series are quite good and not insanely expensive.

Reply to
krw