Tilt sensor

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:22:37 +0200, Zak Gave us:

Ever heard of capillary attraction? Surface tension? How about miniscus? Wetting? All four can pose problems in such a system.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:00:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

You're nuts. They are far more accurate and less noise sensitive than those of years past. The guy wants a 2 degree resolve. These can detect a 0.1 degree tilt. The only problem is the support circuitry and readout method implementation.

Where is your head at?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Just a simple solution that wouldnt take much circuitry would be to use a mercury tube like older thermostats.

John

Reply to
jlwilson1

I liked the parts so much I bought a couple analog parts in the little

8-pin LCC package from Digikey yesterday to play around with (along with a couple 2-axis devices from Analog Devices). The ST digital devices are neat, taking you out of the analog realm, but the 28-pin leadless pack is less simple to deal with for tinkering.

Would you expect any tilt meter to need no support circuitry? I'll need to manipulate analog signals and do some vector math but tilt should be simple to extract.

Reply to
John_H

Support circuitry and readout method... Besides that you'll have added noise coming from the floor, air flows, sounds, doors slamming, trucks passing by, etc, etc. The datasheet may specify a 0.1 degree resolution, but you should bare in mind that this is probrably a hypothetical figure based on math rather than practical situations.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You're funny.

Any tilt system... ANY tilt system is sensitive to outside forces that disturb the gravitational vector such as those items in your list above. You just need appropriate filtering to get out the DC (or the limited bandwidth you want).

ANY system that needs accuracy to 2 degress in the range of +/- 60 degrees will need the support circuitry and a readout. The original request was not for a mechanical system where the readout can be visual.

Reply to
John_H

Support a ball-type mouse by its edges, and glue some kind of bob to the mouse ball. Then write some S/W that displays a calibrated grid, and the mouse moves a crosshair cursor.

Good luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, I'm getting old and should indeed be looking where my head is at :-). You're right; you'll need to filter either mechanically or electronically.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:30:17 GMT, John_H Gave us:

No, I would expect it to need some, but I think the OP was looking for a much simpler solution, though I am not sure what his needs actually are, nor the degree or depth of circuitry he wants to incorporate into the thing.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 12 Apr 2006 05:42:34 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@cebridge.net" Gave us:

That would only create a tilt switch.

He wants a tilt sensor that provides a readout in degrees with a 2 degree resolution. An entire cascade of those switches, placed in 2 degree pre tilted increments would be possible to wire up to a circuit that could read how many of the switches were closed, but not a single switch.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:14:12 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

It would have to be a fairly sensitive mouse, and also, they only have the ball in suspension when it is pushed up into the ball cavity. Hanging a bob under a mouse ball will lock most of them up on the dust scraper (at the ball opening of nearly all mice).

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs