Tilt Switches

I have tried both ball bearing and mercury tilt switches. So far, both have kind of a stutter. That is, when you tilt them, the circuit is closes, opens momentarily, then is closes again. I really need one that doesn't have that momentary opening. Do any of you know of one like that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Trish

P.S. My angle of tilt requirement is flexible, but would ideally be around 30 degrees.

Reply to
Patty

Mechanical contacts bounce, and need a de-bounce circuit(google).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Never heard of any. But, If you can arrange for a SPDT swtich (pos. 1 = not tilted, pos. 2 = tilted), then just an R-S flip-flop will debounce it. Otherwise, you have to resort to tricks, like a schmitt trigger and R-S flip-flop, or a one-shot, that would "latch" the first closure.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So add a debounce circuit! That's the sane option.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Thanks a lot for all the ideas!

Trish

Reply to
news.dslextreme.com

use an accelerometer to drive a schmitt trigger? A tilt switch is after-all an accelerometer with a one-bit output.

A sliding magnet and a mercury wetted reed switch (or even a hall effect sensor)?

Just put a capacitor in parallel with the mercury switch. (or a more elaborate debounce circuit)

--
??pun u?op ?o?? s?u??????
Reply to

sensor)?

I almost suggested that one, myself, a few hours ago. But then I realized from the OP's PS that this __might__ be about

30 degrees in any direction (which pools of mercury and rolling ball bearings achieve in a curved dish) or that it might be either to one side or the other side, even if constrained. Might need two reeds then and let the magnet go slide towards either.

Anyway, figured on awaiting more information about the need and I think that is still a reasoned option here.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan