Ticking with dustsucker against lamp makes lamp brighter.

Hello,

I have a question for ya:

Why does a lamp start shining brighter after ticking against it with a dustsucker/vaccuumcleaner ?

Bye, Skybuck.

P.S.: Now I continue dustsucking :)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Define "ticking against it"

don

Reply to
don

Doesn't your lungs hurt?

Are you bumping into it with your mouth that is causing the filiment to vibrate?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

I've noticed the same effect when I *wipe* the dust off!

Reply to
Beryl

Too bad that "trick" does not work for YOU...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Accidently, or deliberate tick with hose against lamp pole...

Doing it repeatedly makes the lamp shine brighter and brigther until it pops dead.

(Philips lamps)

Bye, Skybuck ;) :)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Nope, I with my vacuum cleaner ofcourse ! ;) :)

Hose might be doing it. Would vibration in the lamp be bad ?!

Is this a conspiracy by Philips to make the lamps pop when a car/truck drives by ? ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

--
Haha!  Funny one! :-)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Q:: Why does a lamp start shining brigher after.....

A: To get to the other side, of course!

Note: That answer is at least as asinine as the vast majority of your posts on SED.

Another question: Are you retarded? (or whatever the politically correct term is these days) Seriously. I think some of us start to feel bad picking on you all the time.

Reply to
mpm

Maybe you slowly short the turns of the filament with each tap, until it finally burns up?

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

This illustrates the reason for rugged or rough service lamps, which are used in portable drop lights that might get banged around or experience shock and vibration from hammering, drilling, etc. Such lamps are built with more filament supports so the hot filament does not stretch and eventually break. Mechanical shocks while the filament is incandescent might cause some turns to short out and thus cause more current and higher brightness.

Phase out incandescent lamps and use CFLs. Even better are LED lamps, and they are very rugged and should last just about forever, but I've heard of some limited lifetime issues, mostly due to phosphor coatings deteriorating. I don't think that's an issue with white LED clusters that are composed of red, green and blue. They also have the advantage of being adjustable for color temperature.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

The old lamp was near the end of its life. The filament was thin and very weak, so any vibration caused sections of itself to touch, shorting sections out. This increased the lamp current which burned the remaining parts of the filament out.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Smack yourself in the head with it.