Thruth revealed about ham radio

legg expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think this is a general trend affecting almost all areas.

When my daughters graduated high school, the graduates all had their prospective career goals announced- The first grad session had no one going into computer programming. The 2nd session had two but they were both looking to go straight into management (or project management).

No one wants to do the actual work anymore. In ham radio, no one builds anymore.

Warren VE3WWG

Reply to
Warren

46 - guess I'm a youngster round here then? :)
--

John Devereux
Reply to

So, by what strange freak of nature did you get shoehorned in there?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

Looks like I'm in then... :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Steve Roberts asked me to post this for him...

Once again I find myself unable to post to S.E.D. Please post these links for me:

Real Ham radio still exists in a small group, the Microwave Hams, who built stuff to 47 Ghz and Beyond.

Show them these A few small examples.

I'm on the microwave ham mailing list, and its spectacular. No one worries who has what call sign, they are all too busy helping each other build working stations. One of the tricks to that is carefully screening who is allowed on the list. If all you do is yak about the good ole days of HF Advanced Extra class Morse, your not on the list, it seems.

Lots of PhDs, Retired and Active Engineers, and Tinkerers on the list.

The way it should be.

Steve

I saw some a few weeks ago at a 'Dollar Tree' store. Cheaper than Ebay.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

3W homebrew continental voice. 160mW com - transatlantic QRSS.

It doesn't have to be bigger, faster, higher to make a mark or give satisfaction.

Reception QRSS plots show visually the holes, fading and interference in the com path.

RL

Reply to
legg

The phone would ring in less than five seconds when the film broke. Even at 1 a.m. This was on an Army base with just two companies.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That was when you had to be a real man, to get all the parts for a home brew cat whisker radio. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had a 'ham throw a hissy fit a few years ago at a hamfest. He was screaming at me that I was a !@#$%^&*() con artist, since the pile of computer cables under my table only had a single DB25 connector. He was yelling that he would turn in his license before he ever soldered anything. I just smiled and told him I wanted $2 for a 25' piece of 25 conductor cable, with a free DB25 connector, hood and screws. Then I said, Why don't you do everyone in the hobby a huge favor, and turn in your ticket as soon as you get home. No one will ever miss another clueless 'lid'. The old timers were laughing at the arrogant fool. :)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Weller guns are the most useless pieces of garbage made. Anything more than two joints to be soldered and I reach for the 35 watt pencil style iron.

mike

Reply to
m II

The big ones (D550) are useful for soldering thick metal shields. The little ones are useless.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Then you never made servce calls. It was very easy to start a fire with a hot soldering iron, or you had to wait for it to heat and then cool before you could pack your tools. What's useless is idiots like you who don't know when or where to use a particular tool. I bought my first Weller gun in 1966, and still have it. I've had dozens of soldering irons fail, and just had to buy another.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, but then they aren't intended to repair a ca radiator.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another thing about a Weller is that if you run out of tips, you can bend a piece of #12 or #10 wire for a quick&dirty substitute.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A few more turns and you can erase tapes. ;-)

Reply to
krw

YEs, done that before a few times..

10 AWG, just pinch the tip in a vice to give it a flat spot!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

No, you do that to raise the resistance so the wire heats in one spot.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael, Please adhere to Michael's Rule #1:

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a band-aid on it, because it's Teflon coated. ...Jim Thompson

We could start a new thread... how to handle dogs in the front yard when you are on a service call ;-) ...Jim Thompson