Thruth revealed about ham radio

In 1946, I got $.65 per hour as the night engineer at WMAJ. I think it required a license to turn on the tower lights at dusk and make the entry in the station log. I also made the occasional station ID announcement from the xmitter at night when the studio was closed and we were broadcasting the Mutual Network. It was a good job for catching up on homework in my EE courses.

--
VWW
Reply to

VWWall wrote in news:hsidnRPvOIGSqt_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

OK for time/temp but I have two of their "weather stations", one with a USB plug transmitter to the little weather station box and the other with a directly-plugged-into-ethernet on my LAN that talks and has "news" and other useless junk on it.

Trouble is, both of them USUALLY have DIFFERENT forecasts on their LCD displays for the SAME STATION! I have to forcibly update them by hand to get the damned Weather Direct servers to update them regularly.

Useless......

This one Radio Shack was unloading at $12, brand new. Too bad the outdoor temp sensor is made to disintegrate when exposed to Earth's air.

This one was $8 at Radio Shack in the mall. Plugs into your computer USB port with a handler program installed. It works BETTER than the independent 1440, but doesn't talk to you or have outside temp....until the outside temp sensor eats itself.

They were probably worth the price I paid. I'm sure at $150 all of them came back is why RS dumped them, en masse.

La Crosse Weather Direct just sucks.

Reply to
Fred

G > The notion that the misfits from CB G > moved over to be the misfits on usenet G > makes a lot of sense.

FLR > Those are easy to spot, though. FLR > They're all posting from Google Groups, FLR > not an NNTP client they'd never be FLR > able to boot and use.....(c;]

You and your twin Dave use that NNTP stuff so you can hide your IP address and your Bridwell hidey hole though, don't you, Fred?

Reply to
Greegor

AFAIUI all the cell stations were out in NY in the immediate aftermath of

9/11.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Jamie > And not let us forget, they'll make Jamie > sure this item is sitting among their Jamie > collection of rigs at their fancy Jamie > looking desk top, built just for the Jamie > station, taking photo's of it to pass Jamie > around to their friends, especially Jamie > one to the guy that tried to buy out Jamie > from under him.

FLR > No, he'll carry the item to the next hamfest FLR > to repeat the cycle of uselessness for FLR > some other ham JUST AS SOON as the FLR > ripple effect of his bragging wears off at FLR > the local club meeting. FLR >

FLR > Once they're not in awe of his possession, FLR > it becomes moot to be disposed of. FLR >=A0Hamfests are full of crap like this....dead FLR > tubes from 1947, military radar test sets FLR > from 1952...the year that radar was dumped.

""1952...the year that radar was dumped"" ??

FLR > If you need the motor-generator for a 1957 FLR > Motorola 2-way tube set on 33 Mhz, FLR > there's 5 of them at every hamfest... FLR > ..and the vibrators for the receiver!

How about a guy who promotes GPS jammers ""Fred Bloggs""?

Greegor

3

=A0

Did Jana let you have an antenna, Fred? I don't see any on your roof.

Do you check this stuff out over at Dave's hidey hole?

Reply to
Greegor

I've used a $1 USB cable from 'Dollar Tree' to move data between two computers that didn't have network cards.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Funny how cheap assed station managers fill their drawers when their station dies, and their 'contract engineer' is busy at another station who pays a monthly retainer.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is anyone here under 30? Where are you and what do you do? Please stand up and be counted.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Sigh. Jim isn't the only one who has designed a WWVB reciever.

You'll play hell where I live to pick up any WWV transmissions, becasue of high electrical noise, yet WWVB is availible. The ONLY time HF was usable around here was after a hurricane, and the entire area was without eletricity.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You've never be in a metrolgy lab, have you? WWVB was used to calibrate the lab's 1 or 10 MHz frequency standard. The Fluke 207 VLF reciever had a chart recorder to track drift. It is much more usable than HF signals, and you only have twice a day dinuarl effects. These were replaced with GPS based systems, starteg about 15 years ago. I have NEVER seen a cal lab use HF WWV transmissions for a frequency standard.

That's ok, if you don't mind lower accuracy.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Usenet posters under 30 years old are rare in ANY news group.

Reply to
Greegor

Good point.

Is anyone here under 50?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Jan 2011 05:31:38 -0800 (PST)) it happened "J.A. Legris" wrote in :

Chances are there is someone here who's counter flipped over at 99.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Amateur radio has most of the problems that voluntary organizations deal with nowadays. In my area the guys committed to admin functions are pretty stand-up. Membership is aging, simply because of the ease of pre-built hardware in all electronics fields, where knowledge and discipline is not required.

I'm sure we all hope that events where amateur radio becomes the sole means of communication will never occur, but the licensing of radio operators (amateur or otherwise) is still part of basic infrastructure. The proliferation of inexpensive cell phones can only contribute to public safety (and ~freedom), but they do have their limitations and most operators don't know how to use them effectively in a general emergency (for which they were never intended).

We're coming to the end of a twenty+ year sun-spot cycle that has made HF propagation a regular bitch - increasing the activity in line-of sight or repeater com. My long-term project is repeater hardware for the new openings around 200MHz.

The last chapter I was associated with operated out of the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology, which might raise a chuckle from some, but provided the public regular exposure to a working ham station, with everything from satcom to vintage hardware in real-time demonstration. There is no muzzle on any individual in this type of organization and I'm sure all members have their pet peeves - they just address them differently. I've never gone on the air except to test hardware.Others will do so to demonstrate/check net function and to practice protocol and procedure.

RL (VE3UTE)

Reply to
legg

10-4 old buddy, no body here... SED is going the way of CB, not ham radio.
Reply to
PeterD

Yup.

Reply to
JW

Judging from some posts, being able to count isn't a requirement.

RL

Reply to
legg

I have no idea. Shortly after I did that design Bowmar USA went bankrupt on me, owing me around $6K :-(

But I lucked out... a year later a lawyer called me and said the courts had ruled that consultants were the same as employees, and I got 100% of my money! ...Jim Thompson

Exactly one month away from 71. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |