The Truth About Faster Internet: It's Not Worth It

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Aug 2019 13:15:29 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I rarely text, but sometimes it is more convenient to send numbers etc, 'I payed ... into your account nr xxx'

Also for emergency I carry the phone always (used last week). I have a nice waterproof radio watch,

with a sextant
you can use it to get your position at sea, if GPS GLONASS Beidou and Galileo fails that is,

And I always carry a digital camera, either a big Canon and / or this one

And on space travel of course the replicator and

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, that is becoming irritating, just as subscription only sites are becoming irritating.

Fortunately there are so many interesting sites on the web that I don't have to rent out my eyeballs and brain in order to avoid being bored.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I am no fan of people walking into street furniture or stepping out into the road without looking whilst texting. I am convinces that the Neatherthall brow will be making a come-back if it continues.

But you can still send it by SMS. Voice to text doesn't work well in a noisy environment. My Alexa sometimes responds to random soundalikes for her name off the radio interpreting whatever comes next as a command.

News items about Google's Alexa or Apple's Siri interface can get all of the smart devices yabbering at the same time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

nternet-its-not-worth-it

Well here my CAT5 cable broke and I ran bookie phone line to the basement. I also mismeasured and have a tone of extra rolled up on top of a furnace d uct. It's 24-12, 24 ga. 12 conductior solid. I am limited to 10 MBS because it doesn't have the right twists and whatever. still, videos stream just f ine, I get a 20MB manual in seconds. The only lag I am pretty sure is not m e.

I got a good version of Firefox and it shows what it is doing, it shows loo king up this searching for that, loading ads from google.ads.whatever and a ll this. The problem is the websites that have to connect to fifty other we bsites to load. And even Firefox won't stop it sometimes. Usually you hit t he Esc and it stops dead in its tracks but some sites start over again and you have to hold the Esc key down. However the nice part is the mouse still worked so I can scroll the article.

Friend of mine on the other hand needs faster because he works at home and deals with huge files and it does make a difference. So he pays about three times as much.

At my house I had second level DSL, we had three PCs on P2P downloading may be 10-20 files at a time as well as be on a live chat site with videos. (Pa ltalk)

Well they have to sell something to pay the bills.

However I can see what is going to happen, websites are going to get more a nd more bloated and the problem won't be videos that freezes up, it will be just loading a page. I wrote a guy a webpage, with pictures and all it was barely 4MB, then someone rewrote it in modern language and it is ten times that. And it looks identical except I had a stationary background, they co uldn't do it. Also doing that in HTML it only seemed to work in IE. No othe r browser understood, umm, bodybg properties="fixed" I think was the command.

It is going to get bloated just like the OS. We are all going top have 55GB /sec and because these web designers don't know when to stop it will still take as long to load a page. We'll have 128GB RAM, 250TB drive, a 150GHz pr ocessor and they'll find way to slow it down.

Me thinkst they art selling new hardware...

Still we'll be back where we started but that is progress.

Reply to
jurb6006

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

gets

Outgoing rate on a cable provided Internet hooks is always slower. It is throttled right there in the modem. Look up the modem specs.

The providers always consider users to be more of a DL crowd, as uploaders can many times be uploading data that may be of questionable nature (another reason).

I get well over 100Mb/s rates already.

I DL a Linux daily each day at 13.6MB/s. Do the math. I grab a movie file every now and then as well, and they are typically 2.5 to

3.5 MB/s incoming.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you ever actually test it for truth in numbers?

Oh wait. You are talking megabit not megabyte right?

The out is fast but that in number is a little weak if you are talking bits.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is called voice messaging.

Folks do not retrieve and their limited 'inbox' 'fills up'.

Sad but true.

Also it it logistically a PITA. One has to dial up their voicemail box and type in the passcode and then walk through each message.

I should be able to look at 'my contacts' and select any one and make a voice message and send, and not worry about it.

And the recieve should be the same as well.

Texts work that way, but voice messages add extra steps that cause folks to use that method less or not at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

don't

I use mine to look at the weather so I can see what is rolling in.

I grab movies with it.

I look at the bus schedules in various cities.

I look at the planet locations at night.

I use the map app.

I play Euchre on it whenever I ride the bus.

That is my paid phone.

I also have an obama phone that still works so, hey... why complain. That is the phone I take calls on.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Tom Gardner wrote in news:ELY6F.32601 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx40.am:

Cute. I am sure you are a joy to work with. More likely get read by you if posted here, eh?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We agreed to pay Monkey Brains for 50+50. We're actually getting about

400+400.

Bits of course. That's what we contracted for and what the speed test sites report.

Gigabit Ethernet is also spec'd in, umm, bits.

Is 400 Mbits slow? 400 MBytes would be 3.2 Gbits/sec, or more with some 8B10B overhead.

I now have 60GB/sec. The 6GB/sec I had before were already more than enough. I took it because it was cheaper when bundled with phone. This was the lowest (!) speed tier they had on offer. The highest was

1GB/sec. Who on earth needs that in a private residence?

Now I also have a smart phone after being a hold-out for a long time. The lowest cost data package is 1GB for 30 days, $5. I typically use about 0.01GB of that and then it expires.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We got it, I know someone who has it one their smartphone. In fact even on my big phone I can just talk to google and get it to search.

Reply to
jurb6006

nternet-its-not-worth-it

Upload speed on Broadband is limited because there isn't much bandwidth in the return channels in CATV systems The 'T' Return channels are only 46.5MH z total, while modern CATV systems work up to over 900MHz forward. Also, th ey use 'Fiber Enhanced Cable' to handle the data to break the system into s maller blocks.

Another file that's useful is:

Michael Terrell

Not with visual voicemail. I see a list of all the messages left, with the caller name, if known, plus a brief voice to text of the beginning of the message. I can choose any one to listen to or delete. I haven't used a pass code in years either.

Interesting idea, but people seem very happy with texts for that purpose. And texts have the advantage that it's in text, so if you're sending information like numbers, addresses, there is no confusion.

But vast majority of the times I leave a voice message it's a second choice, because the person did not answer. I really wanted to talk to them and most often the msg is just to call me back, or that I called and missed you, etc.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Audio acuity of transmitters is pretty good these days. Not sure I want to communicate with someone unable to discern vocalized numerics. I articulate pretty well.

This ain't scratchy old wartime radios and codespeak era. Over.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sure it is, that's why verbal is the preferred method for important things, like account numbers, phone numbers, shipping addresses, prescriptions, et c. Wrong, always wrong.

Not sure I

No loss there.

Not from what I see here.

Figures you'd introduce more BS, ie "code".

It's really simple. Sending something like a phone number or address via te xt is easy and very accurate and a better method than voice mail. Anyone wh o has used both, has had to play back some voice mails many times to be abl e to get the numbers or other info, should know that. And then what do you have to do? Write it down anyway. With a text that is already done, by the other party and you can refer to it anytime in a few seconds, no need to sc rew around with voice mail, listening to minutes of BS to get to the number , name, etc that you need and then get to figure out what some fast speaker with a heavy accent is saying.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Phones take spoken data strings all the time. You are the one unable to get it, and severely behind the times.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Whoey Louie wrote in news:ce90edff-5281-4130- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ramble much, you pathetic, inane, ineducable, uneducated, self impotent, childish twerp?

Play that back many times, only to find that the key word is at the end.

It's really simple. You're a childish twerp.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Amazing how you're the only poster here who needs to make three separate posts to respond to one small post. You take a short post, cut it up and make three new posts. Are you a Russian troll and get paid per post or just nuts? BTW, why use a text medium, you could have shouted all that?

ROFL

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Friend of mine has had it for years. Doesn't type shit. It also works on hi s email.

HA, brings me to one of my stories...

At the ranch, which was our club kinda, ran by Bamoo, named that by his gra ndkids. Very few I told of this, we played poker there, with blunts and boo ze all over the place, but nobody did coke. Well that's probably why we had the money to play poker. It was a friendly game though so very few would b ring their guns. Well maybe in the car.

This is the Win 95 days, he had OSR2 which helps on the net, at least it co mes with a browser. He gets ahold of this program for voice recognition. No w this is years ago and this stuff is not as advanced. You had to train it. And it only trained to one voice, actually there were profiles for each us er.

Anyway, you really needed to go through the whole training process, but you could use it before that so of course we did. the errors were hilarious. I mean almost ROFL for real.

Reply to
jurb6006