Sources of digitized/scanned old data books?

I have in my basement/lab a fairly large collection of analog and digital d ata books from circa 1979-2000. It is quite a collection from mfg that inc lude TI, AMD, AMI, National, Signetics, Fairchild, Intel, BB, Linear, Mot, etc. Also have A number of cross ref to gen purpose devices, ECG, SK, NTE e tc. My collection also contains compendium of app notes from the above.

Are there any sites that have scanned versions of these data books?

They take up quite a bit of space, are used once in a blue moon but on occa sion, are of some value.

Thanks for any pointers J

Reply to
jjhudak4

Append the mfg name to the end of

to see what's available. For instance:

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Also a lot of them (usually sectioned up in per-part datasheet form) seem to turn up on datasheets360.com.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Are there any sites that have scanned versions of these data books?

They take up quite a bit of space, are used once in a blue moon but on occasion, are of some value.

Thanks for any pointers J

Reply to
Tim Williams

I wish there was a service that would scan books for you. For example I got this old transistor spec book. It really comes in handy sometimes on older equipment. It starts at like "2N1". Well not quite but pretty close. Think of a transistor that is good for 20 volts, 75mA and has a whopping hfe of

  1. It's in there.

I can scan it but I can't generate a PDF. I would have hundreds of JPGs. Th ey all should be together in one PDF file. The way it is layed out I see no sense in even trying OCR on it.

Maybe I should try to find some girl for maybe ten bucks an hour to start a nd start such a service. I have a few other things, like the REAL version o f Silent Weapons. I have never seen an online version that has all the hand drawn formulae.

Ahhhk, problem with that is there are so many people who can do it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Difficulty is in the books copyright. If it is your original manuscript then there are plenty of services that will do it already.

You can find a surprising number of ancient gems online if you feed in the title or author and a date. My favourite Ferranti e-line transistor applications book that I learnt from with the aid of their reject transistors off the tinning line startup is available this way:

I am sure my copy had a white cover. I don't have it any more. It was and still is a very good introduction to small bipolar transistors

Most scanners that speak twain can be linked to software that can write a PDF. Mine does it natively (as did its predecessor). Literally a button scan to PDF on the front cover.

There are plenty of commercial archive services that do exactly this to DVD/CD for corporate research lab books and the like which are required to be kept in near perpetuity to prove invention/discovery.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thank you. Yes, a lot of those books look familiar. One hickup for me, it does not seem possible to download a copy?? I don't want to rely on some service when I need to look up something.

Thanks J

Reply to
jjhudak4

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:50:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ot this old transistor spec book. It really comes in handy sometimes on old er equipment. It starts at like "2N1". Well not quite but pretty close. Thi nk of a transistor that is good for 20 volts, 75mA and has a whopping hfe o f 5. It's in there.

They all should be together in one PDF file. The way it is layed out I see no sense in even trying OCR on it.

and start such a service. I have a few other things, like the REAL version of Silent Weapons. I have never seen an online version that has all the ha nd drawn formulae.

I do have access to a high speed, high quality scanner. I recently found o ut that places like Staples, Office max, Kinkos with cut the bindings off t he books for a relatively small price ($2-$5 depending on thickness (up to ~2.5") and method). Some of the locations will scan to pdf, for a (high) price. (based on a sma ll sample size). With the number of books I have, doing the scanning and digital reassembly will take a *lot* of time.

Reply to
jjhudak4

Unless one has a ADF and a industrial size copier/scanner, doing any doc o ver say 50 pages is extremely time consuming. Mechanically scanning the do c is one thing, transferring the data over a network to a machine and stora ge space is another factor. For reasonable quality, 400 dpi is minimum, 60

0 dpi is great but file size are huge (just for B&W...make it grayscale or color and it becomes a slow read/write under Windows)
Reply to
jjhudak4

You need to click on the book of interest to download it. When you click on _NS Discrete Databook 1978_, for instance, archive.org displays this page:

If you scroll towards the bottom it eventually displays various download options on the right side.

As an aside, it works best for me to have both an electronic and a paper version of a given book. ebooks are used for searches and copy and paste. Paper books are used for reading. YMMV.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Reply to
Don Kuenz

ohhh yes, scroll way down....thank you. From the way it was presented in my browser, it was not apparent that there was more text below the book cover. J

Reply to
jjhudak4

I have a scanner attached to my main PC. I scan almost all outgoing paperwork. It is a bit tedious I grant you but takes less than 30s a page at 300dpi.

Only if you save as Mickeysoft BMP. There are plenty of lossy compression choices that can do a lot better. I have fine tuned my choices to get acceptable quality and fairly small files.

I can compress to an optimised restricted palette and save as 8 bit PNG with a colour lookup table to get things really small.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If you don't mind losing the books, there are: bookscan.us and

1dollarscan.com. I've never used either. They might have trouble with the thin paper used in databooks. Caveat emptor.

-- Adam

Reply to
Adam

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 12:01:44 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

over say 50 pages is extremely time consuming. Mechanically scanning the doc is one thing, transferring the data over a network to a machine and sto rage space is another factor. For reasonable quality, 400 dpi is minimum,

600 dpi is great but file size are huge (just for B&W...make it grayscale o r color and it becomes a slow read/write under Windows)

I think most digital copies of books are done with a camera , not with a sc anner. Using a camera is much faster.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The Artek folks generally sawed off the binding and then digitized the individual sheets using a feeder, iirc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rote:

doc over say 50 pages is extremely time consuming. Mechanically scanning the doc is one thing, transferring the data over a network to a machine and storage space is another factor. For reasonable quality, 400 dpi is minim um, 600 dpi is great but file size are huge (just for B&W...make it graysca le or color and it becomes a slow read/write under Windows)

a scanner. Using a camera is much faster.

Is this the Artek you are referring to?

jjhudak4

Yup.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:50:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ot this old transistor spec book. It really comes in handy sometimes on old er equipment. It starts at like "2N1". Well not quite but pretty close. Thi nk of a transistor that is good for 20 volts, 75mA and has a whopping hfe o f 5. It's in there.

They all should be together in one PDF file. The way it is layed out I see no sense in even trying OCR on it.

and start such a service. I have a few other things, like the REAL version of Silent Weapons. I have never seen an online version that has all the ha nd drawn formulae.

If you've already got jpg files, they can be turned into pdf by (among othe r things) Adobe Acrobat (the full version). If you can't find anyone to do this, send me an email and maybe I can do it.

Reply to
rangerssuck

rangerssuck schrieb:

[...]