Ghee Massonne speaks.....

in a very real sense, DC does not exist. < sic >

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Statements like this separate BSers from engineers.

John

Yes. This is trivially obvious. However, the "accepted" default is to discuss DC as the lim f->0. Many concepts can't actually exist ideally in the real world.

Like, "free will" can not exist. We cant be more than our gene and meme programming, with a bit quantum randomness thrown in for good measure. However, we have a pretty good approximation so so we can just continue our lives with the illusion that there is an "I" that can take action.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

"Guy Macon" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

[snip other stuff]
[snip apparent effort to play]

The "Who is an engineer?" game is for suckers. Nobody whose opinion you should care about would extend an invitation to play. Accepting such an invitation is more demeaning than ignoring the implied taunt.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Thank you for making my point. Next, why don't you prove that AC doesn't exist, them move on to resistance and inductance.

Hey, your product-dev group is picking up! It's averaged almost one new thread introduced per day! Of course, 90% of them are posted by Guy Macon.

John

It would sure be great if there was a way to shoot this miserable thread to put it out of it's misery.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Pooh Bear didn't write that, but he did do a major selective snip so as to make a true statement look silly. I expect that sort of th "Well, yes; in a very real sense, DC does not exist. No DC signal has the attribute of having a fixed voltage that has been there for an infinite amount of time and will be there for an infinite amount of time. All signals that we call "DC" are actually pulses with the pulse width limited by the beginning and end of the universe. One could argue that our infinite transmission line is also limited by the size of the universe, but in the case of a transmission line we can cheat by putting a matched terminator on the end of a billion-parsec cable.

That's not BS. That's an accurate description of the limitations that come along with a certain narrow definition of "DC." If you define "DC" as never having a start or an end (with the associated rise and fall times), then *by definition* DC doesn't exist in a universe that has a finite age, and *by definition* everything that we call DC is actually just a very long pulse.

As far as the question of who is and isn't an engineer goes, I hope you were referring to "Pooh Bear" and not me. If anyone thinks that I am not an engineer, I suggest that that they avoid flying on a Boeing 757 or any subsequent aircraft that uses the same thrust-reverser drive electronics. They should stay away from AV8Bs and C17s, too.

Unless I am mistaken, nobody here has delivered a larger number of electronic products into customer's hands than I have. That isn't a very good metric of engineering skills, of course; making one copy of a brilliant design takes more skill than making 100,000 copies per day of a rather ordinary design. Still, it was nice to find out that over 50% of US girls in the 8-10 Yr, range have played with a toy that I created. Making children happy is something to be proud of.

Reply to
Guy Macon

But strictly speaking, it doesn't exist. Or can you suggest a circuit that carries a constant current for an infinite amount of time?

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

It's just a solenoid drive system with some interlock stuff that I'm sure you had nothing to do with...no great skill level required there.

Yes- but you did not conceive the toy or have true knowledge of the market. You were a mere commodity engineer realizing the specifications of the more talented and creative people- sorta like architect vs building contractor relationship.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Definitions need neither data nor arguments.

I've never attacked you, but I do occasionally make fun of you. Nothing wrong with that.

Oooooooooo...

Oh, I am crushed, simply crushed.

John

Yep- it's all relative. DC is anything longer than 1e6 x longest time constant in the system - any "engineer" knows that.

The last thing any *real* product developer will do is give away the farm.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Translation: you don't have any data or logical arguments so you resort to tactics unworthy of a high-school debate.

New threads are a poor metric. The moderator is preventing new threads unless there is a new topic, unlike sci.electronics.design, where every topic becomes fragmented into several drifting threads.

The startup period for sci.electronics.design had fewer posters and less activity, despite the considerable advantage of having a large number of people who had voted for the groups a few weeks earlier.

It appears that you find personal attacks to be an acceptable substitute for a civil discussion of the topic at hand. My time is too valuable to waste on post that contain no actual content. I am putting you on a one-month killfile, and may extend it when I later evaluate whether you have decided to contribute to any discussions about electronics design.

*plonk*
Reply to
Guy Macon

Neither does a pure sine wave AC. Both are defined as existing for all time.

Reply to
John Popelish

I have heard that this will do the job for you Mocrosoft Entourage users:

[
]

I don't use Entourage so I haven't tried it myself. If it works for you, please let me know. Thanks!

Also see [

]

Reply to
Guy Macon

True, but Pooh Bear didn't write that.

Reply to
Guy Macon

It only seems that way, because Free Will is the raw material that you're constructed of. Just because you can't see your own eyeball without a mirror doesn't mean that your eyeball doesn't exist.

Well, I see how you're going to great lengths to deny your own Will - you'll find out the truth eventually, except with this attitude, by the time you do, you'll be dead and won't be able to do anything with it. )-;

Here's a couple of quotes:

"Here in duality there are two kinds of everything, and Will is no exception. Even though the magnetic essence we know as 'Will' is primal and ultimately unified, the Mother of all Creation... not all of her essence is 'free'. While some of her essence is free to spontaneously move and create according to her desires... by far the majority, the best and most important part of her essence... is trapped.

"Of the 'trapped' Will, there are also two types. One type is 'present' and known, the other is 'lost' and unknown. Lost Will is trapped Will that has been pushed so far away from free Will and the Light that sustains her existence, that she can no longer magnetize herself back to the rest of Will. All trapped Will suffers to some degree. Lost Will is hopelessly isolated and alone, and is suffering greatly.

"Will is very magnetic, and draws to herself more essence that is like her. Free Will draws more free Will to herself, and trapped Will draws more of the same to herself. These two types of Will have long been at odds with each other. Free Will has hated the pain, desolation and drudgery that is the constant experience of trapped Will, and has sought freedom from this by distancing herself as much as possible from trapped Will. Trapped Will has hated free Will for going off in search of more freedom, and so readily abandoning her, leaving her with what has trapped her." --

"If there was no free will I could simply make you know what you need to know and do what you need to do to become Who You Truly Are. This universe doesn't work that way, however. You must choose for yourself, and the classes can help you know the issues and your options. With these classes and like any teacher, I can influence you to the extent you are willing to be influenced." --

Good Luck!
Rich

for further information, please visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

There is. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Pig Bladder

Alas. setting followups to alt.null as you have done isn't very effective. Most newsreaders throw a "newsgroup does not exist" error. Next time use alt.dev.null, a newsgroups that does exist but which is moderated in such a way that all posts are rejected.

There is also another, better way to shoot this miserable thread to put it out of it's misery. Here it is:

THE STANDARD ADVICE:

There is a way to influence what gets discussed in a newsgroup that works well, and another way that has never worked no matter how many people have tried it.

What works: Post articles on the topic you wish to see discussed, and participate in the resulting discussion. Use killfiles and filters so that you don't see the articles that you dislike. If you don't know how to use a killfile, use good old fashioned discipline and don't read the articles that you dislike. Never, ever respond to articles that you dislike.

What doesn't work: Respond to articles that you dislike, complain about articles that you dislike, complain about posters that you dislike, complain about how terrible everyone else is for not posting what you want them to post. Talk about how to respond to articles that you dislike. Make the articles that you dislike the center of attention, the main topic of discussion, and a personal crusade.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Rich, didn't you wipe the mat with Kevin the last time he claimed that free will doesn't exist? This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

If someone wishes to deny the existance of free will, that's fine with me, but when they go on to claim that one is not responsible for his actions, I get concerned. That philosophy isn't just wrong; it is also the source of much evil in the world.

Reply to
Guy Macon

I think one of the main reasons that people are so terrified of personal freedom is because "freedom" comes with built-in baggage: the dreaded "responsibility."

I read a really cool thing telling Libertarians that they're selling the wrong product. There was a link a few weeks back about how freedom incurs responsibility. There was a quote that stuck out in my mind - I'll paraphrase: "Would you like your neighbor to be free to do whatever he wants to do?" "Uh, well, what if he runs wild?" "OK, then, would you like your neighbor to be responsible for his actions?" "Of Course!"

Even I'm having a little trouble distinguishing "Freedom" from "License" - true Free Will intrinsically includes responsibiliity, and it intrinsically does no harm, because doing harm hurts. The ones who do harm are those who deny Free Will.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise