Infinium scope, what's it worth

I have an Infinium 54815A, 4 channel 500 MHz scope with all it's bits, probes, k'board, mouse, that I intend to put on Ebay. Does anyone here have any idea what it is worth so I can set a starting price.

It cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it 5 years ago.

Reply to
Mjolinor

This is kind of circular, but it's worth what you can get for it on eBay. Did you check eBay for completed auctions of that model?

The auction itself will tell you what it's worth. If the item is well described and well photographed, runs for a week or more, and ends at a sensible time (i.e., not in the middle of the night), it will seek its own level, even if it starts at $1.

The other way of letting eBay tell you what it's worth is to set the starting price too high, and notice that you got 0 bids.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Which is why I posted. If I start it at £1 then I will get 3*10^6 emails asking me questions from all the morons that think they are going to own it for less than £1000. If I set it too high I wont get any bids. It needs pitching right because even though things on Ebay do set there own worth fairly well it doesn't work with high value limited market products, particularly in the UK where the market is much smaller, it has to be pitched somewhere near to start with. I searched for completed or current items similar, there are none in the UK and there isn't one like it in the US and the difference in price UK to US on a product like this is significant, it is worth much more in the UK.

So I need a ball park figure. I am sure someone on this group haas bought one second hand recently.

Reply to
Mjolinor

: > This is kind of circular, but it's worth what you can get for it on eBay. : > Did you check eBay for completed auctions of that model? : >

: > The auction itself will tell you what it's worth. If the item is well : > described and well photographed, runs for a week or more, and ends at a : > sensible time (i.e., not in the middle of the night), it will seek its own : > level, even if it starts at $1. : >

: > The other way of letting eBay tell you what it's worth is to set the : > starting price too high, and notice that you got 0 bids. : > -- : > John Miller : > Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm : >

: > well-adjusted, adj.: : > The ability to play bridge or golf as if they were games. : >

: Which is why I posted. If I start it at £1 then I will get

3*10^6 emails : asking me questions from all the morons that think they are going to own it : for less than £1000. If I set it too high I wont get any bids. It needs : pitching right because even though things on Ebay do set there own worth : fairly well it doesn't work with high value limited market products, : particularly in the UK where the market is much smaller, it has to be : pitched somewhere near to start with. I searched for completed or current : items similar, there are none in the UK and there isn't one like it in the : US and the difference in price UK to US on a product like this is : significant, it is worth much more in the UK. : : So I need a ball park figure. I am sure someone on this group haas bought : one second hand recently.

I found one advertised for $9,499 in New Jersey. But I think that is a speculative price. But it is a starting point!

Reply to
Roger Gt

Rule of thumb, if there are no Ebay sales for reference:

X = What's the least you'll take for it?

Y = What's it being advertised for? (anywhere, just for a ballpark figure)

Starting bid = greater of X or (Y/2)

If you think it's worth at least 100 (GPB, $, Euros), then start it there. That's usually high enough to eliminate the "noise" bidders.

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz

It's always a good idea to search eBay for finished auctions, they show you the last 30 days worth. You can find something similar, if not identical. Use "Advanced Search," and select "Completed Items only"

I found a 54810A 500MHx 2-channel with printed manuals, but no probes, ended at $3,150. Another 54810A, but rack mount (ugh), with no probes or printed manuals, started at $3,995, no bidders, relisted now, still no bidders. A third 54810A had everything, probes and all, and finished at $3,750 plus $300 shipped from Israel, after 23 bids. This was with a $49.90 starting bid! See the great photos and listing,

[Note the runner-up bidder, a new eBay member in the Ukraine, rated 0. You may want to set some acceptable-bidder rules.]

Anyway, I'd imagine a 54815A with everything like yours would be *at least* a few $k more, maybe higher. Nothing wrong with a $7.5k reserve price, and you can relist for a few rounds, or go ahead and accept a lower high finishing bidder at any point.

Thanks, - Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com (use hill_at_rowland-dot-org for now)

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Start at £1500, if you get £2500 for it you will be doing well.

Reply to
CBarn24050