The future of germanium ? ( diodes mainly )

: > TC'ing a Si transistor with Si diodes is no tougher than TC'ing a Ge : > transistor with Ge diodes, EXCEPT the Ge will probably thermally : > run-away in spite of your efforts. : : I gues we were thinking of 2 different things then. Ges can be used : back to back in an opamp circuit to give a nice nonlinear effect, with : no bias. I dont know exactly what the OP's doing, thats just the usual : design I've seen. : : : NT

Well, since you let the cat out of the bag. Yes indeed, that's one of the things I'm doing, using Ge's back to back. I wasn't aware that it's been done before however. HopefullyI've found some new ways to use them The range of things that can be sonically done with them and with "elegant simplicity" is most impressive. Welcome to the whacky world of guitar FX design where the worst parts are sometimes the best :-)

Reply to
Dave Moore

: > Tim : : very low voltage for power saving? Would have many uses in computers : etc. Ge tr circuits can run happily on 0.5v supplies. : : NT

Perhaps they were thinking of me and my never ending quest for sonic signature devices :-) Naw

BTW, are any of those ancient back to back Ge circuits posted anywhere online for viewing?

I'd be curious to see that I don't reinvent the wheel. Though I don't think I am as I've never heard any musical FX recordings that sound quite like what I'm doing, which goes a ways beyond simply slapping a pair of back to back Ge's on an op amp.

Reply to
Dave Moore