The Future of Neighborhood Watch

And to keep the prying eyes away

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

w+who%27s+watching

Couldn't hear the audio but I'd say a few hundred yards at most and not 40mm shells. Ignoring the particular application, I find it's almost hypnotic watching remote control servo systems at work. Flat bed plotters are a fine example. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

40mm

example.

One report I found about this video said a mile and half, from an Apache helicopter apparently unnoticed by the, er, ah, recipients. There was also some chatter about "weapons", which justified the actions, I guess. They must be more experienced than me. What I saw was a long stick-like device, possible a ball-like device, and a piece of agricultural machinery.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Right- and more like the GAU-12 Gattling gun with 25mm HE projectile which would seem like the best weapon for the application, providing total destruction of vehicle and personnel targets, and plenty of ammunition aboard.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Uh-huh- and they just happened to be at a suspect convoy ambush site, exhibiting all sorts of suspicious body movements and furtive behavior, meaning they were up to something they didn't want to get caught at. This is enough to initiate a kill in a combat zone. They weren't going anywhere afterwards and a patrol was dispatched to the scene to collect evidence, analyze results, arrange for bagging the remains, and clearing the road.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Most report a AC130 Specter gunship two and a half miles

greg

Reply to
GregS

I thought Iraq wasn't meant to be a combat zone anymore ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Is it really possible to direct 40mm shells that accurately from 4 km away ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I don't know the details. More likely 25 mm. I am familiar with the Vulcan as I was with a drone aircraft practice division in the Army. The sound of the Vulcan at high speed 100 to 120 RPS................

greg

Reply to
GregS

watching

also

They

device,

You apparently have access to more facts than are contained in the video (suspected ambush site, patrol dispatched to collect evidence, etc). Do you have a link to share?

Reply to
Richard Henry

not

watching

Apache

also

They

device,

away ?

The gun used in the video is obviously not a vulcan. You can hear every round being fired (several per second). There is also a "rounds" tally in the bottom line of data.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Over 10,000 trucks destroyed in Vietnam. Looks like an extraordinarily safe, comfortable and accurate way to kill people and destroy property. Sort of an ideal IED.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Why don't you try listening to the background audio, they are in communications with the ground, that would be the convoy security escort.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The main mission is close air support for the ground forces. In this case they are clearing a convoy route, and standing by to suppress enemy fire in the event contact is made. The background audio indicates that the ambush setup was only a few kilometers in front of the convoy. And those were not "people" they blew away into bits and pieces, they were evil garbage, murderers, threats - (and morons)- who were looking to do some killing themselves. The only regrettable aspect of this is that there were not more of them to kill.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

not

Apache

you

I listened several times, to several of the versions available on youtube.com.

"You sure it's a weapon." "Yep. Smoke him."

Later:

"He's wounded. Smoke him."

What kind of weapons do you think they were?

No mention of "suspect convoy ambush site" or "patrol ... dispatched to the scene" in the Youtube videos. Got a better link?

Reply to
Richard Henry