What is the future of superconducting circuits

Hello, I have recently read some articles on superconducting circuits, and I would like a n opinion on if the area of superconducting circuits is a good and growing for doing research. particularly at stony brook, where researchers have produced a lot of work. Does this area require lot of knowledge on superconductivity and physics. you suggestions are welcome. thanking you supradeep

Reply to
supradeep narayana

For the purposes of the digital engineer, superconducting chips are super dead, IBM cancelled that no-producing technology 10-15yrs ago.

But for power engineering and magnetics theres still some future I guess.

regards

johnjakson_uas_com

Reply to
john jakson

Hi, I am not even a novice in this area but I do know that the technology that IBM was employing was trying to mimic logic levels similar to semiconductor based logic. They had a lot of problems doing that and the final clock frequencies that they could achieve was rather low for the investment. It was then that two researchers from MSU, Moscow (Dr Likharev and Dr Semenov) came up with the idea of RSFQ logic wherein logic is defined in terms of the presence or absence of a quantum flux in the presence of a clock (which again is quantum flux pulse). I hear that this approach has infact generated a lot of quantifiable results and recently NEC, Japan even demonstrated a partially functional RSFQ Processor. Here, in the U.S, Hypres Inc in collaboration with a Prof from Stony Brook has generated a lot of results and are even currently funded by NSF or DARPA for a RSFQ ADC to be employed in the very first Software Defined Radio. Seeing all this, I believe that "superconducting chips" are far from dead. Maybe for certain applications, they might prove to be the only solution, only time can tell. I have no idea though about what it takes to be a researcher in this area nor can I comment on the future that it entails.

Regards, Digvijay.

Reply to
Digvijay Raghavan

ISTR that some of the work on quantum computers is using super cooled circuitry. Might be worth reading up on that.

Stephen

Reply to
Steve Maudsley