future of antifuse fpgas?

Does anybody have a general feel for whether or not Actel (or any other vendor) is going to bring out a new generation of antifuse fpgas on a newer process (90nm)? Or has this device style basically been shelved as only a specialty item for people who are ultra-sensitive to soft errors above all other factors?

I'm mainly curious about whether or not the speed advantages will continue on newer processes. In theory, an antifuse should have less capacitance than an SRAM-based pip, giving you lower propagation delays and hence higher clock rates. It looks like this was probably true doing a 150nm-to-150nm comparison of the Axcellerator versus FPGAs made on a similar generation of process technology.

However, I have to believe that the antifuse stuff requires a special process/fab, and that fab isn't going to be doing anywhere close to the volume that a strictly-CMOS fab would. That in turn drives up prices or else forces compromises that affect performance (in order to bring down costs).

So, ultimately, I'm wondering how this will play out. Obviously any comments at this point are pure speculation, but I'd appreciate speculation from somebody who knows more about this stuff than myself.

- a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380
Reply to

Adam,

I think you have it well understood.

I am sure there is work on better and smaller efuse technologies, as even non-fuse based FPGAs may use fuses (for redundancy). Also, ASICs and ASSPs use fuses for redundancy, repair, and setting bias voltages.

A big fuse cell is a pain in the neck. Smaller is better.

However, right now Actel has a bigger problem: the issue of their fuses blowing on their parts (see NASA/JPL advisory notice 'do not use') due to SI issues (large overshoot/undershoot on IOs). They have claimed this is solved, and is not a problem on any family other than the one affected, but it has had a huge sobering effect on the fuse FPGA mil-aero community ("how can I ever trust these parts ever again? my mission was scrapped ... I lost my job because the contract was canceled" - heard in the hallways of JPL ...).

I love fuses, when they work.

Aust> Does anybody have a general feel for whether or not Actel (or any

Reply to
austin

Yeah, although this is the part of the whole antifuse debate that kinda annoys me. Whenever the issue comes up, people only talk about reliability and radiation. Obviously those are important for a really big market, but not for me.

Right now I'm interested in prototyping new/alternative fabrics for FPGAs. Short of doing a MOSIS run (which I will do eventually -- just not yet), I'm trying to figure out the best way to do a mock-up prototype.

All I care about is speed (aka propagation delay), size, and the ability to map my "virtual CLBs" efficiently. I only need to program the device once. Given those (admittedly unusual) constraints, I'm trying to evaluate what's out there. Additionally, most of my stuff will be QDI self-timed, so clock distribution innovations aren't a big feature for me.

Now Austin, you wouldn't be FUDding us just a *leeetle* bit there now would you? ;)

Thanks for the reply though!

- a

Reply to
Adam Megacz

And previously

There has never been a time that Anti-fuse based FPGAs have had a speed advantage over "SRAM"* based FPGAs. Not from Actel, not from Quicklogic, not from Crosspoint, and not from Xilinx. At any given time, the underlying technology process node for Anti-fuse devices is at least 1 generation and sometimes 2 generations behind the tecnhology for the "SRAM" based parts. The only time performance leadership has been claimed is in marketing material. When comparisons have been made with similar process nodes, they represent product availability that differs by a year or two. By the time Actel had a

150nm process that yielded, X and A were at 120nm or below.

The real speed killer for Anti-fuse is what they never talk about in their comparisons. They always show the size of the Anti-fuse versus the "SRAM" pass transistor (or pass gate) and say the far smaller size leads to lower capacitance and therefore higher speed. This is true. What they fail to mention is that to program the Anti-fuse they need a pair of power transistors either side of the Anti-fuse to sink enough current through the fuse to program it. They are big, capacitive, at the end of long shared wires, and they are still there after programming is done. The size of these transistors is so big, that they kill most of the area advantage that came from the Anti- fuses being small.

*: I use quotes around "SRAM" because although the FPGAs are referred to as SRAM for their configuration memory, it would be far more accurate to call it an array of latches loaded from a shift register.

The other big problem for the Anti-Fuse folks is that they have a hard time getting the attention of the high volume leading edge foundaries. They end up at second tier foundaries that are willing to do the special stuff for Anti-fuse, but then the usually do not yet have the leading process node available.

Exactly right.

Although you say (up the top) that you only want to program the device once, your project is architecture exploration. This is really helped by being able to try lots of different things. I think I wrote about this previously:

Philip Freidin 1992 in comp.arch (on FPGA based algorithm accelerators)

never

outperform

applications

Philip Freidin Crusader against Anti-Fuse FPGAs since 1989 :-)

Reply to
Philip Freidin

I've found notes saying 'the MODE pin must be grounded, and if you've ever powered up a flight item with an Actel FPGA with the MODE pin un-grounded you must replace all FPGAs on the board', dating from 1995; haven't seen anything about this 'bigger problem'.

Though I'm a hobbyist, and wouldn't buy one-shot chips unless they were a couple of orders of magnitude cheaper than equal-performance reprogrammable equivalents.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

Wow, thank you Philip; this was not only the information I was looking for, but the little-known reason why it is so.

Thanks!

- a

Reply to
Adam Megacz

Is UMC considered a second tier foundry? I note that Xilinx builds devices there.

--
rk, Just an OldEngineer and not a process guy.
"These are highly complicated pieces of equipment almost as complicated as

rk,

Yes, UMC is a nice little foundry. We have some wafers running there.

Seriously, a foundry is not just one process, or one line, but many.

At the 12" location of UMC, Tainan, in the south of Taiwan, there is a whole lot of advanced process node production going on. Most, perhaps all, of their capital budget is spent on these processes.

It isn't so much your choice of foundry (I think UMC is a great choice), but it is also your choice (if you have a choice) of process.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Agreed, of course, was just commenting on the one point that Philip brought up.

What you described is of course true at many foundries, nothing new, and not all designs call for the most modern deep submicron process.

Philip Freid> The other big problem for the Anti-Fuse folks is that they have a