Future of ASIC design

Hi, I am asking this question for my friend. He is going to do his MSEE in Analog/Digital ASIC at the Lund University,Sweden. He wants to know about the future prospects in this field P.S: He is an Indian and will be on a limited period(prob 2yr) student visa to sweden. kind regards Arunkumaran Varadharajan

Reply to
Arun

Hello Arun,

That really depends on a lot of factors. The most important: Where does he want to live an work? In Sweden? India? Somewhere else?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Out of india seems to be his first priority...probably US....

Reply to
Arun

Hello Arun,

Over here (US) ASIC design is still pretty strong. However, I can see some of that work migrating to India. The way this happens is that large companies are building design centers in Bangalore and other places, then slowly downsizing their US engineering groups. Working as an independent designer is an option but initially not for your friend. It also would require a large portfolio of references which you don't have right after graduating. The only way (other than marriage) to get into the US would be via large companies as sponsors.

Analog experience on the circuit board level is quite sought here as well as in other countries. The main reason for that is that young graduates lack experience. Often they can't even solder. In order to succeed in this field you need lots of design exprience under your belt. Hobby, vacation work, whatever, but it has to be some challenging stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

Or simply walk across from Mexico into Arizona ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

Yep, forgot that one. But don't count on landing a job with a semiconductor design firm after that. They want to see los documentos, usually.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You can work for Fry's... in management even ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

thanks for your support.....he wants to thank you profusely

Reply to
Arun