The future of displays?

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:09:28 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote in :

Yes this is nice, and I already considered on, light output needs to improve for big screens.

This is about an old demo (12.16.2003).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:11:55 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote in :

There seems to be some difference in the way we (our brains) proces sounds and vision. Here are some basic things to think about: When you sleep the ears keep working (sort of alarm system?), but the visual info is 100% closed of, except for strong light (sun up signal?).

We can do all sorts of things and listen (be exposed to) music or speech at the same time. We cannot possibly do anything while at the same time reading for example.

When you use a device like you describe on a cellphone or PDA, you will be very much stuck to sitting where you are. Moving around with a superimposed picture, even one one eye, would be dangerous. Of cause data projections like this are used in mil planes for all sort of flight data, but they probably do not play Goldfinger.....

So maybe at home. But do not spill the coffee when it is handed to you and you are watching 'Liberation day'.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Actually, if it's pronounced "ell-ee-dees", then the apostrophe _is_ correct, in this case. If it's pronounced "leds", then it's not.

I can't help it that I remember all this crap from fourth-grade English, I just do.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

eye

Maybe somebody said, "How much will it cost us if somebody's using this in their car and decides to sue us when they crash?"

The last I heard, it is illegal to have a TV in a car where the driver can see it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ambivalent.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I make bums like you crawl out of the rubbish with every post I send. But I'm nice enough to trim my posts so that ye don't scare away the fair users.

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Both sexes have both hormones, and need them for various uses. If wives (Old English. females) didn't have much testosterone, you would never have a chance of engaging them in debate or sex, wilfully. And if wers (Old English, males) didn't have much =9Cstrogen, you would be dying of heart attacks more often and wouldn't have enough fat to cushion your organs from your weight, which age ye still. Never mind these; wers need less white matter taking up all that room.

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

It is a fact that there are no such things as cemetaries. There is nothing /you/ can do to make their resting grounds "cemetaries".

Freedom is irrelevant.

Wrong, when there are no inferiors around, I like to think or play or watch or scheme. Stop being a shameless liar.

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

On 20 Sep 2005 12:43:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

The future of displays is OLED. IBM has made a 19 million pixel version. They are VERY high resolution.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:49:12 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

Was that back in the '90s?

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

On 23 Sep 2005 10:08:36 -0700, "Autymn D. C." Gave us:

You make rubbish with every post you send.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

eye

dangerous.

I'm not talking about wearing it all the time. Why piss about with tiny lo-res screen on PDAs when you could have the real thing floating in front of you? Alternatively, why have a 15" power hungry laptop screen when you could have exactly the same view at a fraction of the cost and power consumption?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

eye

Therefore nobody makes portable TVs in case they are sued. QED.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:27:14 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote in :

Oh, absolutely. On the other hand projection systems will always need a lot of space. And [some] a [high reflectivity] special screen. Something that emits light and hangs on the wall, or the electronic paper that Bill mentioned, are easier to use. So projection systems for a hall full of people perhaps, but even with high quality CRT beamers that needs some darkening. The only other alternative that I know has been done, is in bright sunlight put a whole lot of LCDs together in mosaic (in a stadium). Here you use refected light, and the energy problem is solved for a

16x9 meter screen....

So it depends on what you want to do.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, I think the point is that LEDs (or some other solid state light source) are only going to get more efficient while traditional lamps have reached the end of their development curve.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

404. Maybe just as well.
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mark Martin wrote (in ) about 'The future of displays?', on Fri, 23 Sep 2005:

Seek not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

J Dunne

John Woodgate

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:23:26 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote in :

eye

very

dangerous.

Oh, you are right, tell you what, in the sixties I used a very expensive Senheiser headphone headphone to listen to vinyl.... We drooled at Quad electrostats, build own pre-amps... what not. Some still do.... But vision is somehow different. Maybe some thing are better left to the imagination, especially we see now in games the trend is not towards more realistic rendering so much perhaps, but towards better games.... Speed. Dual screen... motion sensing remotes... Who wants to see the nose hairs of the announcer.... As for cost, I have looked up that stuff long time ago, did you? It exists! Thousands $. If it was 30$ I would have one... I have 2 3D LCD shutters too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I read in sci.electronics.design that NunYa Bidness wrote (in ) about 'More Greengrocers' apostrophes was Re: The future of displays?', on Fri, 23 Sep 2005:

If English was being taught, it must have been the 1890s.

John Woodgate

Did you got to one of Mrs Thatchers' In-Comprehensive skools?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith