Segmented Displays

Hi,

I was building some fonts to more accurately reflect the displays in a product I designed. Since I was already "in the mood", I figured it might be fun to tackle some of the other segmented displays that exist(ed).

It immediately popped into mind that 7, 9, 11, and 14 were the configurations of the segmented displays that I have used in the past. Though I admit I'll have to think hard about the specifics of some of them (7 and

14 are intuitive; 9 is relatively straightforward but I'll be damned if I can remember what 11 looked like!)

Are/were there any other *segmented* display configurations commonly in use? I'm ignoring dot-matrix displays as they are a no-brainer. And, I think some of the specialty displays (e.g., half digits) are probably not worth the effort...

Thanks,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I don't think I've ever seen an 11...

But 16 segment displays are fairly common - they look like the 14s, but with the top and bottom bars segmented.

Of course there's all sorts of weird stuff that gets made for custom displays.

Reply to
robertwessel2

I admit I am having a hard time imagining what it looked like. I will have to track down schematics and/or source code to see what the mapping was.

Ah, yes! That will be a trivial change.

Yes. Especially if you start looking at masked LCD's...

Thanks!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

It's just a 7-segment with a 4-segment starburst in the center (each center segment reaching out to a corner).

..so you can make M, Q, V, W, Z and R without them looking too silly.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hey Spehro! :>

How they hang> >

Ah, OK. B, Y, etc. don't see any gains. Like a glorified

9-segment... (as to be expected)

Thanks!

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Y has to be italic I guess.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Although I've never seen them except on _very_ old equipment, there were also eight segment displays. I believe they were used before seven segment displays became generally accepted. They were identical to seven segment save for an additional stubby segment to the right of centre. It was activated when displaying a four so that the horizontal stroke crossed the right hand vertical stroke like a proper written four instead of how they are depicted on a seven segment display.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Nice, I've found a picture:

The shape of the upper and lower segments are interesting, too, not just

45° angles like standard 7 segment displays.
--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

There are all sorts of wacky segmented display varieties -- even within a particular "class" (e.g., 7 segment, 9 segment, etc.)

The font I just built required several bezier curves for each segment (think: LCD not LED). Of course, at small sizes you are hard pressed to see the fine details of these curves but when you print larger samples, the differences are very apparent!

These are particularly amusing:

Reminiscent of Atari's (?) vector graphic display system that could only draw curves...

Reply to
D Yuniskis