The future of displays?

I remember years ago when colour LCD displays were just equations being worked on. I'm wondering what I can expect in the next 15-20 years. Will it be more of the same, but bigger, lighter, and flexible? LCD monitors seem good enough, now, for just using a computer. LCD projectors seem good, but need bulb replacement so how about LEDs instead?

I am more thinking about displaying extra information other than intensity, like holographic displays (colour or monochrome) and possibly reflectivity so you can get good metallic colours. This would go down well, I believe for shopping channels.

Capturing information to display a hologram is another issue.

Reply to
dwickford

Sorry, in some places in the above post I used LCD, when the technology should not be restricted to LCD, but include any display technology.

Reply to
dwickford

Direct visual cortex projection.

It will give a whole new meaning to the term "dead pixels".

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ One World, One Web, One Program - Microsoft Promotional Ad Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The display of the future will be electrophoretic - it has been for some thirty years now.

In principle, using electrically charged black and white particles suspended in a fluid is a great way to make "digital paper", with the same sort of reflective contrast as you get from the printed page, and since the particles tend to stick around when the writing field is off, power consumption is pretty low.

I suppose someone will get the bugs out eventually, as they finally did with ink jet printers ......

------------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

The advance of technology (both direction and speed) is rarely predictable. Futurists are almost always wrong. Note however that the primary factor in determining whether something happens or not is usually economics; and (for comercial products) that usually depends much more on manufacturing technology than on the technology of the end product.

Paul Cardinale

Reply to
Paul Cardinale

If Microsoft is still around, it will have to support the nice blue screen they have now.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ If Bill gates had a dime for every windows machine that crashed... Wait a minute, he does!

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I read in sci.electronics.design that snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote (in ) about 'The future of displays?', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

Bioluminescent panels. Either self-photosynthetic or you feed them glucose once a week.

John Woodgate

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about lamps for video projectors, and the reason why I haven't bought one yet is because every so often you need to spend like half the cost on a new lamp. I would buy one with a better light source (high power LED) which lasted e.g. 50000 hours instead of 2000-3000 hours. Also you might not need a fan, since they tend to run cooler so 0db sound emission? The size might be bigger because you might need direct the light from an array using a light pipe, but then I'm sure optical engineers are quite capable. Size is not an issue for me.

(Sorry I haven't done the calculation to see how many high power LEDS, you need to have same power output as a 150 W lamp, but it is safer to be stupid than wrong IMHO.)

Reply to
dwickford

You might not get enough of a spread of wavelengths from white LEDs to be able to reproduce colours well; I'll do a little internet searching.

Reply to
dwickford

Blue? Mine goes bright red. I felt that it was more appropriate. ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

LEDs are unsuitable for powering video projectors for several reasons:

1) - The efficiency is only about that of halogen lamps( (Sorry I haven't done the calculation to see how many high power LEDS,

Well, if they were suitable for the application don't you think somebody else would have already had the idea? BTW I wouldn't like to be declared stupid either.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

There are digital projectors that use xenon lamps.

Reply to
Paul Cardinale

fluorescent

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Look up "fotonic crustals" under the wrong conventional spelling. One promising crustal is a Planck's-law violator made of tungsten. *sniff*

-Aut Down with the Laws.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Of what? His persistence, brawn and ability to focus? His three shiny guns? Or just his ability to operate in a vacuum?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (21 Sep 2005 07:04:41 -0700) it happened "Paul Cardinale" wrote in :

The display has my most of my interest is the new ones with micro electron guns, these replace the old heater and electron gun in the CRT.

Lookahere:

News from Toshiba: Toshiba said it will soon introduce the first flat-panel displays utilizing the SED (Super conduction Electron emitter Display) technology it has co-developed with Canon. The first SED televisions will be expensive, but as yields improve and production increases, prices will be reduced. Yoshihide Fujimoto, CEO of Toshibas Digital Media Networking Company, stated: Theoretically, prices for SED can be much lower than plasma.

Ramirez further stated that SED is going to be the new standard in flat panel; its going to change the way you look at flat panel. The specifications are impressive: 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution, extremely high 8600:1 contrast ratio and 1 msec response time.

The SED is a new type of flat-panel display technology, that was created through the merging of Canon's proprietary electron emission and micro-fabrication technologies with Toshiba's CRT technology and mass-production technologies for liquid crystal displays and semiconductors. Like conventional CRT televisions, the SED utilizes the phenomena of electron collision with a phosphor coated screen to emit light. The main difference is that the electron emitters, which correspond to an electron gun in a CRT television, are distributed in an amount equal to the number of pixels on the display. In addition to high brightness and high definition, the SED delivers exceptional overall image quality, fast video-response performance, high contrast, high gradation levels and low power consumption.

And directly from Canon:

But then again I am a 'CRT freak' :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:28:57 +0100) it happened John Woodgate wrote in :

You are jealous.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Seems to me that someone who had a serious interest should go check out the SID proceedings for the previous 5-10 years, then (maybe) come back with questions about specific emerging technologies.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jan Panteltje wrote (in ) about 'The future of displays?', on Wed, 21 Sep 2005:

You have a bald, rectangular conical head, a very thin neck, and a navel on one cheek?

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'The future of displays?', on Wed, 21 Sep 2005:

I thought that a reference to the vacuum between his ears might be too unkind. (;-)

John Woodgate