The benefits of autism, what is autism ?

In other words, having to cope with an autistic kid changes the behavior of the parents?

Pop psychology does rely at lot on anecdotes, and it isn't great at looking out for potential confounds.

The autism spectrum is continuous - nobody who knows what they are talking about is going to talk about a semi-austistic kid

By "people person" John Larkin presumably means somebody who doesn't wince when he comes up with one more half-baked generalisation.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Well, quite. Young children exposed to any kind of severe or prolonged dysfunctionality in the family are highly likely to become damaged by it in one way or another. It might manifest in later life as drink/drugs or crime or precocious sexual activity..... or it might equally well be autism - the degree of which is related to the degree of dysfunctionality.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. After all, a lot of non-autistics get married in far stranger places.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They drove up the aisle in a golf cart and almost took out a couple of bridesmaids.

Reply to
jlarkin

Not all that expert - she is a speech therapist rather than a behavioral psychologist.

The problem isn't lack of social contact - it's in lacking the sort social skills that make social contact easy and rewarding.

Aesop's fable about the fox that lost it's tail.

Nothing all that patentable.

How, precisely?

That is what the link says, but there are thousand of gene variations that are weakly linked to intelligence, and presumably just as many that are weakly linked to autism. Every last one of them is going to have other effects on cerebral data processing, none of them big.

<snip>

Parents who have been coping with and autistic kid since its birth - that going to influence their behavior.

it in one way or another. It might manifest in later life as drink/drugs or crime or precocious sexual activity..... or it might equally well be autism - the degree of which is related to the degree of dysfunctionality.

Of course it is going to work both ways - an autistic kid can drive you to drink. The Book "Blueprint" does make the point that a lot of what are seen as environmental effects are driven by the inherited character of the kids, who tend to adjust their environment to suit themselves.

Nobody is "semi-autistic". There's an autism spectrum and people can be anywhere along it. You don't get half- and quarter-breed autistic kids - it seems to involve the interactions of lots of genes. "Blueprint" explicitly makes the point that mental problems are "normally distributed".

Cursitor Doom has odd standards.

That's not normal. And it isn't the kind of behavior that anybody sane would recommend.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Non-sequitur. Being semi autistic is just another way of saying mid-way along the spectrum, that's all.

Not as odd as this couple - and hundreds of others like them:

Sounds hilarious to me. Wish I'd been there.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sloman is so astoundingly literal I think he's a ways out on the spectrum himself.

It was great. There was a (golf) driving competition, with everyone in wedding clothes.

Mo made a therapists tour of China and they are also reporting a huge surge of autism. Maybe the same effect, urbanism, big businesses, and universities allowing more geeks to get out of their village to meet and marry geeks.

There are three on-the-spectrum types, all males, in my company.

Nearly taking out a couple of bridesmaids isn't remotely hilarious. If Cursitor Doom had been there he might have been less quick on his feet than tge bridesmaids, and might well have been taken out - hopefully permanently.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It does mention that the diagnosis has become a lot more popular recently. Once you have diagnosed a kid as autistic you've got an income steam from checking up on them, and people can make money out of training them to perform in ways that let them look more like more nearly normal people.

Silicon Valley families do have the kind of income that can support quite a few parasites.

Or a least more frequent diagnoses.

Or more money around to be spent on diagnosis, monitoring and counselling services.

So what? Engineering also attracts mildly obsessive compulsive people. Making sure that you have every last detail right does pay off when you are working on complicated systems. Severe obsessive compulsive behavior stops you from getting anything finished, and management types do like to stop people "wasting money" on time-consuming things like design reviews by claiming that the engineers are being obsessive/compulsive.

makes the point that these sorts of behavior are normally distributed, and concentrating on the tail of the distribution obscures the point that a lot of population exhibit the same kind of behavior to a lesser - and entirely controllable - degree.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

So many 'issues' that plague him. I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard.

Brilliant! Whose idea was that?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes. His releltless nastiness is an illness of its own.

Best to ignore him.

The Brat (aka bride) of course.

Ideally, yes. However, I'm trialing an idea with my new Australia Sig. Every time he posts something stupid and/or offensive I append that sig. It's kind of like a treat for a dog that behaves well - only in reverse. Over time we'll see if it's capable of positive behaviour modification. :->

She obviously has a great sense of humour - a rare gift for women nowadays.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

PKB

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The opposite. You are wrestling with pigs. You get dirty and they enjoy it.

Ignore him.

Only if you are semi-literate.

People who can't express themselves clearly resent being rubbished about it.

Cursitor Doom should be sorry for himself, but he lacks even that much insight.

<snip>

With any luck the golf cart would have managed to take out Cursitor Doom, who won't be as agile as the average bridesmaid.

Golf-driving? In wedding clothes? More bonkers than brilliant.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And he can spell relentless,

John Larkin lacks the necessary self-discipline

So does Cursitor Doom.

Cursotr Doom thinks that his posting something moronic is some kind of negative reinforcement?

He's just rewarding me by providing me with extra evidence that his brain doesn't work well. An easy target to jeer at.

<snip>

Hannah Gadsby would be surprised by this bit of sexist idiocy. I pick on her because she too grew up in Northern Tasmania (albeit more than thirty years after I did). Other counter examples aren't rare.

Cursitor Doom may imagine that women laugh at him as a defensive device, rather than because they find him ridiculous.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom is morphing into John Doe - if he was ever anybody else.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In today's SF Chronicle:

1 in 100 of the marriages in the SF Bay Area is between two software engineers.
Reply to
jlarkin