What is the name of the red rubber like stuff?

What is the name of the red rubber like stuff?

<698839253X6D445TD

Glyptal?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

On Sep 2, 2018, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote (in article ):

It looks like RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicon Rubber. The standard red kind is very widely used, and is a commodity.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yeah, looks like glyptal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Thank you, yes that could be it. Have to take the thing apart and then re-assemble it again. Of course did not have the right size TORX, just one smaller than my set. Been cutting at the red stuff with a stanly knife, it is a mess. Looks like I can get it locally here:

Many thanks, to all who helped.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Use RTV162 instead, its not electrically corossive. RTV emits acetic

-acid when it cures.

Martin Riddle

Martin Riddle wrote

Yes, I can find that on ebay, with 20$ shipping from US to Europe. This is the case with many of these products... So I turned the search around, and found this with free shipping:

2 $ 02 worldwide free shipping....

My first idea was to seal it with hotglue, done that before with plastic... and already have it, not tried on metal.

But for 2 $, I ordered one.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Red rtv is high temperature, if that's what it is. I never saw any evidence of acid causing corrosion.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

GC has little bottles. If the job is huge or 'industrial' it is sold also in small paint cans.

The GC stuff is like $12

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote in news:ptbr67$crl$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

sold

oops...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Nov 24, 2018, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote (in article ):

Note that glyptal is not a rubber, it?s a hard enamel varnish. The red rubber is probably high-temperature RTV silicone rubber.

Nor does GC claim that their varnish is glyptal. They say it is some kind of epoxy.

Hmm. The stuff labeled ?glyptal? from Glyptal, Inc. has a similar MSDS. Perhaps, glyptal is only a brand name these days. It used to be a specific resin chemistry, invented by GE.

"Former General Electric trademark for a group of alkyd resins

patented in 1914 and first used as a paint
in the 1930s. Glyptal paints are made by heating phthalic anhydride
and glycerin
together. Still available today, glyptal is used in shellac
and paints.?

I guess that the real question is if this red varnish works for the things glyptal was good for.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

In this case and what this is typically supposed to protect against, it all comes down to volts of breech resistance per mil of thickness.

Transformer varnish has a similar function and is of yet another formulation meant to make for easy vacuum impregnation of a taget assembly.

Te red stuff is usually meant as an external, after-the-fact dressing at joint/node locations where testing shows high corona exhibition.

A good HV design avoids such needs as they can be SPOF locations in a circuit. HV nodes are usually a deep probe down a tube, with insulative, non-conductive paste as a seal, and then a real seal a screw down to hold the probe in place. Examining an HV supply one sees the connection on the supply done as mentioned, but the other end... the customer end can even end up being a suction cup over a bare node.

The red silicone RTV mat'l is usually also an add on fix. RTV potting and sealants are usually not red. I see gray and white from General Electric. I am sure other colors are available from other potting matl makers though.

Reply to
DLUNU

On a sunny day (Sun, 02 Sep 2018 17:12:04 GMT) it happened wrote in :

It is likely Ccb and Cbe going by the size of it, but do not take my word for it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 02 Sep 2018 17:12:04 GMT) it happened wrote in :

It is likely Ccb and Cbe going by the size of it, but do not take my word for it.

PS you can figure that from the text as it mentions the voltages used when measuring it:

Cc collector capacitance IE = ie = 0; VCB = 10 V; f = 1 MHz - 2 pF ^^^^^^^^^^ Ce emitter capacitance IC = ic = 0; VEB = 0.5 V; f = 1 MHz - 11 pF ^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Jan Panteltje