Thank God for...

He is just hard up for attention, since not many frequent a.e.e. so much anymore as he killed the group and his ISP will not STOP the little bastard.

Many of you have this issue (the attention thing).

Reply to
TheJoker

Damn, DimBulb! Would you stop melting my irony meters?!

Reply to
krw

an

Of course. I'm not wildly optimistic, because I don't have the contacts in Sydney that I've got in Melbourne, but I'll certainly be trying.

e as

I did a little chasing around when I first started spending three months of the year in Sydney, and it looked as if there might be short term work, but not if you were going to be out of reach for nine months of the year.

I know that once I get something working, it keeps on working, but not everybody who makes that claim can be relied on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

lan

me as

r...

Jim-ever-reliably-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson reminds us - once again - that he never lets total ignorance stop him from saying something utterly stupid.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

in

o me

for...

)

y of

kills;

The last time Jim Thompson admitted to being in Australia he was lecturing at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, around about the time when one of their lectureres was boasting about them getting their own silicon fab - for two inch wafers. Minimum line widths were what you could get on a modern PC board.

When I worked at Cambridge Instruments on Electron Beam Microfabricators in the 1980's we sold two EBMF 10.5s in Australia. One went to the Mint to create holograms for the plastic banknotes and the other went to AWA in Sydney for a slightly more modern semi- conductor fab, to go in a building that was built for them by Civil and Civic under a contract negotiated by my younger brother (who was one of Civil and Civic's senior managers at the time).

The EBMF 10.5 is obsolete these days - Cambridge Instruments took over the Philips equivalent (which hasn't got the field size to do the job the Mint needed) but it can write tolerably fine lines.

Since the Duthc firm ASML is now the market leader in optical lithography, I may be able to sell my fluency in Dutch when I get to Australia.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

m...

rum

fers to

han, say,

" was if it

und for

in the

,

for $15 in

rice I can

Update: I just got a coupon in the mail.

HF 6" digital caliper, #47257, on sale, $10, limit 7 pcs. per customer. (Note: this is the regular metal variety, not the fractional inch or the composite.) Batteries only last 6 months(*) whether on or off, but it's otherwise decent.

(*) Silver oxide. Alkalines around half that.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

say,

it

in

Yes, I have one of those, I remove the cell when not in use.. it works out fine since it has a carry case included with cell holder.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

price I can

Yep, that's what I do too. More than good enough for a "beater." If they'd lower the power drain it'd be even better.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

can

If they'd put a damn slide switch on it, it'd be better still. I had a cheapie for awhile that drained the battery after 2 months or so. So I made a habit of removing the battery after use. Of course the battery compartment cover eventually wore out.

Reply to
JW

hat price I can

*)

Silver oxide cells cost twice as much, but last twice as long--their much flatter discharge curve keeps them over the caliper's "low" threshold" for that much longer.

You have to wonder why they can't cut the current draw when the thing's off--that would fix the gripe completely.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat