Thank God for...

ning

I was brought up with feet and inches, and while Europe is pretty thoroughly metric, my favourite chisel has an 18mm wide blade - which is close enough to 3/4" for most practical purposes. The next wider one is 25mm and the narrower 12mm ...

those

sier

, in

If you have to do a lot, it stops being error-prone and becomes automatic.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

No numbered or lettered drills?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

those

Wimp! You need to step up to a cutting torch!

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

dimensioning

those

easier

Plasma cutter.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

those

I need magnifiers to read the worn etching :-( ...Jim Thompson

dimensioning

those

easier

There are numbered (so called "wire size") drill sizes (numbered 80 to

1) and letter (A-Z) drill sizes.

Eg. G = 0.2610"

or 6 = 0.2040"

as well as

7/32" = 0.2187"

AFAIK, the only duplicate is the 1/4" which is fractional and also 'E'

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

that may be where you were born, but you are clearly a Europeon.

You try to move goalposts almost as much as DimBulb. The resemblance is uncanny.

They why didn't you know what a "fractional read-out" was, liar?

They're about $2 now. No point, though. OTOH, I saw a pair with a 2' span, recently. Might be useful.

Reply to
krw

Didn't see that. Nest time I'm by I'll pick up a couple. At that price I can scatter them around like I do screwdrivers. ;-)

Reply to
krw

dimensioning

those

easier

I'm quite aware of drill size notation. It was just much faster to "mike" them than to try to read each one. ...Jim Thompson

s.com...

h-

c forum

m refers to

re than, say,

dout" was if it

around for

ere in the

say,

had for $15 in

se it's

bly

That's a feature--even if slightly off, they're trimmable.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe. :)

Or measure with a chainsaw? (Know the tooth spacing?)

--
 - Don (don@misty.com)
Reply to

Sure we did. The inch is defined as 25.4mm. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I got one maybe a couple years ago for about $10 from Harbor Freight.

(A "dial caliper", 0 to 6 inches with 1/10 inch per rotation in the dial, nominal resolution to a thou. Accuracy has yet to draw complaints in the

1st inch, little need on my part for thou accuracy over an inch. I just have to remember to press the thumbwheel down hard enough to get movement instead of rubbing.)
--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

say,

it

in

Personally, for the few dollars difference, I would avoid the composite ones.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Can't afford one on my income. :(

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

um

ers to

an, say,

was if it

I like to think of myself as a citizen of the world, but my passport still describes me as Australian, and we will be moving back there next year.

Perhaps because they don't sell them in the local super-markets and do- it-yourself stores. I imagine that I could buy one in a Sydney do-it- yourself store - there are still quite a few Australians around who were brought up using inches and feet and know what a sixteenth of an inch is - but I've not had any reason to visit one in recent years. We'll be moving into our apartment in Sydney in June. It has been rented out - unfurnished - for the past few years, so moving in and furnishing the place is probably going to involve a few visits to Sydney do-it-yourself shops.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

say,

if it

Yeah, all leftist loons believe they're something "greater" than they are.

Then why did you pretend you knew, when you admit that you didn't? You admit that you are the liar that everyone here knows you are.

Whoopie!

Reply to
krw

They sell booze in metric, but only because a 750mL is _almost_ a fifth,

1.75L is _almost_ a half-gallon, 375 mL is _almost_ a pint, but they can charge pint, fifth, and half-gallon prices for less booze.

There was a time some years ago when the highway departments went on a metric jag, and you got signs like, "Next exit 3 miles (4.828 KM)"

That was marginally entertaining for awhile.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

At the shop where I sit, there's a 6' vernier caliper than can resolve

0.001", but it has to be 72 degrees F in the shop. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No problem, they probably strike if it isn't.

Reply to
krw