Thank God for...

com...

forum

refers to

than, say,

ut" was if it

.

e is

I didn't make any such pretence. My original assumption was that Jim was just using calipers with a digital read-out to make it easier to identify the various drills - which it would. I had no idea that he was brain-damaged enough to need digital translation from from a decimal representation to something explicitly in eighths and sixty- fourths of an inch.

Joel Koltner's reaction made it perfectly clear that fractional read- out covered more than decimal fractions, which was educational. I didn't see any necessity to respond to it - it didn't make any difference to the pont that I'd made

Scarcely. I didn't lie at any point, and your claim that I did is unfounded - which would make you a liar if you weren't notorious for getting confused about what people actually said. It's not as if anybody takes you seriously.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

refers to

than, say,

was if it

Of course, you lie.

Reply to
krw

rum

uch

" was

is

und

ere

ge,

for

day)

2'

Resolution isn't the same thing as precision. The calipers will still resolve a thou at temperatures other than 72F, but the distance indicated won't be accurate to a thou at some other temperature - how inaccurate will (of course) depend on the distance being measured as well as the temperaturedeviation away from 72F.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Resolution isn't the same thing as precision. The calipers will still resolve a thou at temperatures other than 72F, but the distance indicated won't be accurate to a thou at some other temperature - how inaccurate will (of course) depend on the distance being measured as well as the temperaturedeviation away from 72F.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Not to put too fine a point on it, the correct terminology for this measurement device is "caliper". Look it up.

Tom

Reply to
hifi-tek

No, actually, thankfully, the shop isn't unionized. I doubt if Joe or Marshal would join a union. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

ps.com...

th-

ic forum

im refers to

ore than, say,

adout" was if it

are.

ths

ance is

o-

You do like to delude yourself. This probably includes persuading yourself that you can delude other people.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

We used to call them venereal clappers.

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

rice I can

Me too. The composite models resolve 10 mils. That's enough for woodworking, but metalworking needs the extra digit-and-a-half.

I've got ten or twelve of the HF stainless steel digital calipers (for butchering into lathe readout devices). I got half a dozen or so on sale for $10 a piece. I've only seen that price once, but they come up for $12-13 several times a year.

After your comments re: your lovely standards I got to wondering. I whipped out a few more of those carbide rods and discovered their length varies. Hmmm. 1.000" was just luck after all.

So I measured 4 rods to 1/10ths with a micrometer, then compared to the HF. This particular HF was dead-on down to the last digit (half a mil, and 0,01mm in metric mode).

If I overpressure the caliper I can rubber the reading 0.000'5 to a mil low, but with ordinary pressure and no special care it's perfect. I'm surprised. Not bad for ten bucks.

I stacked combinations of rods and found the same at 2" and 3"--the caliper agrees with the micrometer down to the last half-a-mil digit.

(I didn't try stacking more than three rods. They start getting wobbly & hard to handle.)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

DON'T WORRY THERE WILL BE PLENTY FREE FIRE WHERE AND YOUR TROLL KRW YOU ARE GOING. TALK ABOUT SPLIT PERSONALITY....YOU TAKE THE CAKE. CREEP.

TGITM

Reply to
Michael A.Terrell

Just out of curiosity -- I'm not trying to slam you here, Bill -- do you plan on seeking employments once you're back in Oz?

I mean, despite all the shenanigans that go on in SED here, it looks to me as though you do have skills that some companies would be willing to pay for...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Task one of the interns with coming up with a correction table for other temperatures? :-)

Just using the coefficient of expansion for whatever kind of metal it's made from -- if that's known -- is probably pretty accurate...

Heck, if it's a digital readout, then it's "just software!"

Reply to
Joel Koltner

He can't get a job there... even with a pseudonym :-)

Only those using antique technologies. ...Jim Thompson

COBOL programmers were making really good money during the Y2K scare? :-)

Even if Bill's techniques are a bit dated, it still seems to me that plenty of companies get along just fine without anyone there having cutting-edge skills; certain industries are very slow to change.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

My recent experience with Aussie's indicate cutting-edge capabilities. They'll laugh Slowman back to Holland ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

So don't repost the fairy :-( I've already got him blocked. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Evidently no, since you answered him. Oh, you block me too.

Reply to
krw

Check the headers of the last several posts. You will see what is going on.

Reply to
josephkk

Unfortunately, thanks to the economic antics of Our Glorious Beloved Infallible Leader, we can't afford an intern.

Q: How many programmers does it take to change a lightbulb? A: None - that's a hardware problem!

Q: How many design engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? A: No problem! We'll fix it in software!

;-)

BTW, the BMF vernier caliper doesn't have a digital readout - it has a vernier. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A2: None - Bill Gates has redefined darkness to be the new industry standard

A3:

lightbulb(1) lightbulb(1)

NAME lightbulb - Convert electrons to photons

SYNOPSIS lightbulb [-wattage number]

DESCRIPTION lightbulb reads a stream of electrons from standard input and produces photons on standard output. Thus

lightbulb light

The following options apply to lightbulb:

-wattage Sets the rate at which electrons are converted to photons.

FILES None

SEE ALSO xmas_tree_lights(1), streetlamp(1), led(2)

KNOWN BUGS lightbulb is known to fail unexpectedly after some unknown number of applications. Repeated complaints to the authors of lightbulb have failed to come up with a fix for this bug. The only known workaround for a crashed lightbulb is re-installation from a fresh copy of the source media.

NOTES I believe M$ Windows is based on lighbulb because they share the same bug - and the same workaround.

It is important to ensure that the input stream is correctly formatted or the lightbulb may crash unexpectedly and with undefined results.

Do not attempt to apply lightbulb's input files to other UNIX tools (esp. 'finger(1)'), however, lightbulb's output stream is fairly compatible with most other devices.

INSTALLATION Consult a hardware engineer.

PREREQUISITES Your operating system must support sockets and switches.

Reply to
krw

LOL!

Thanks! Rich