Re: thank God for TRANSITOR RADIOS

poor buggers listening to ABC AM as the ash clouds circle in the SE

> coastline....

does AM still exist? I thought it was FM< now and don't mobile phones all recieve FM?.

Reply to
news18

FM is only for people interested in music useless for anyone else.

Reply to
FMurtz

Most certainly.

*If* a mobile receives FM, it needs to be in an area of good reception unlike AM which will travel much further and can be picked up with even the cheapest AM transistor radio from a long way away, especially at night.
Reply to
Clocky

The coms black outs were predicted when they decided to do away with the HF. didn't they actually sell off the HF bands?

Reply to
news18

who actually broadcasts on AM now? I supose I could dig out my multiband luggable and listen.

Reply to
news18

Click on your state. There are loads of stations.

The ABC for instance is important as any bushfire emergency warnings in a region interrupts normal programming regularly for warnings and updates.

Reply to
Clocky

Lol, I just realsed that our alarm is 1 hour of AM ABC Radio each morning. the talkng heads on that are bad enoug, but the few times I listened to AM/FM commercial, I'd have to be desperate to bother.

Reply to
news18

You asked who was broadcasting, not about content. Ask I said, there are loads of stations on AM.

Reply to
Clocky

In Castlemaine, Victoria it seems that FM is used for the ABC and 'Macquarrie'? services that in Melbourne are on AM.

Apart from Main-FM (not sure of spelling) the only good signals are FM from places like Bendigo, Horsham, Ballarat. Sometimes I can get useable Melbourne AM from near a window on the south side of the building.

I used to have a small clipon radio from Aldi that recieved digital and FM analog(ue). (Didn't work for long.) Around Melbourne then the same radio station was delayed over a second via digital, and would cut out quite often. So I preferred the analog.

Reply to
DavID Payne